Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 20 Nov 2022 18:15:59 GMT by CCforHMRCforum
In August this year I submitted my 2021-22 self assessment Tax Return on line. The tax calculation correctly showed that on 31 January 2023 I have to pay a "2021-22 balancing payment", together with a "1st payment on account for 2022-23". While these are not due until 31st January next year, I have already paid the amounts due. Yesterday, I received a P800 which says that I am due a tax refund, and this will be sent to me in about 6 weeks. The calculation shown in the P800 includes only 2 figures that I recognise, and omits multiple items of income that I included in my SA return. As far as I am concerned I have not paid too much tax (I might have paid it a couple of months early, but it's all due). I do not want a rebate because it just confuses my affairs. And, perhaps most importantly, the P800 is utterly inaccurate and I have little idea where the numbers come from. I've been doing self assessments for years and this is the first time I've ever had a P800. Can anybody help me to understand what on earth HMRC are doing? And how do I stop this unnecessary and confusing P800 process/refund, which cuts across my completely orderly and well-planned - and compliant - tax affairs?
Posted Tue, 22 Nov 2022 14:14:04 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi,

Please contact the self assessment helpline on 0300 200 3310 and advise them that you have received a P800 for the 2021 to 2022 tax year,
when self assessment is appropriate.

They will arrange to cancel the P800, as it should not have been issued.

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 28 Nov 2022 19:49:26 GMT by CCforHMRCforum
Hi HMRC Admin Thank you for your response. I phoned the self-assessment helpline. After being cut off twice, and after a total of over 2.5 hours waiting I reached someone to whom I explained the position. I am uncertain that they understood what was going on but they referred to their supervisor and then stated the P800 would be cancelled. Now a refund cheque has arrived in the post in 10 days rather than the 6 weeks set out in the P800. I do not want this rebate as it completely confuses my tax affairs. As I said in the original post, I have already paid the tax due on Jan 31st. Even if I cash the cheque and pay the same amount to HMRC, I have absolutely no confidence that HMRC will get the accounting correct, as it is clear that "Self Assessment" and "Personal Tax" do not speak to each other. What do I do? This is taking vast amounts of unnecessary time, as my tax affairs were totally in order until HMRC confused things. Unsurprisingly this is hugely frustrating. Advice would be most welcome. Thank you.
Posted Wed, 30 Nov 2022 12:39:43 GMT by
Hi CCforHMRCforum,

If you have received a P800 calculation, there must be an issue between the PAYE and Self Assessment system.

If you are registered to complete a Self Assessment tax return you should not receive a P800 or a cheque from this.

I do apologise as we should have sent a referral to have this corrected and to cancel the P800 and cheque repayment.

I appreciate that you have already spent a lot of time on this matter, however please contact our Self Assessment  helpline again so that we can ensure your  record is corrected.

Self Assessment: general enquiries

Thank you. 

Posted Thu, 01 Dec 2022 17:40:46 GMT by CCforHMRCforum
Thank you for your response. I have just spent close to an hour on the telephone, only to be cut off for "technical difficulties". I have now spent over 3.5 hours trying to resolve a problem that is entirely of HMRC's making. And I have got nowhere. There MUST be a better way of dealing with this. You are pretty efficient responding to written queries on this forum (thank you), so presumably there must be someone to whom I can write to get this resolved. Could you give me a department of HMRC to write to, and an address. Thank you
Posted Mon, 05 Dec 2022 16:01:06 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

We do apologise, we have been having technical issues. You can write to the address here:

Self Assessment: general enquiries

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.