Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 21 Jan 2022 19:10:40 GMT by Tedward
How does a UK citizen successfully confirm their identify in order to login to the Government Gateway if they are an expat? I am supposed to select two of three options: 1) Passport - That's easy 2) North of Ireland Drivers License - I'm English and my UK drivers license is 40 years old. 3) Personal credit information (Using TransUnion UK division). That's a long shot but my only 2nd option! Next step is the showstopper as I'm asked for a UK address! I'm unable to progress any further and these is no guidance on what to do. The frustrating thing about this is I used to be able to login (using an access code from the HMRC app) but that stopped working when I upgraded the OS of my phone.
Posted Tue, 25 Jan 2022 10:35:26 GMT by HMRC Admin 18
Hi,

If you are unable to verify with the questions being asked you will not be able to verify for the Government Gateway.

Thank you.

Posted Wed, 10 Aug 2022 00:46:25 GMT by matthew259
I am going to double down on the original question. I am an expat (no I do not have an English address!!) and need to access Gateway to organize my pension. I have a British passport but do not have a British driving license. Question - is it possible to register for gateway without a British driving license. If the answer is no then just say so but given the number of people who fall into the expat category I expect a solution to this serious problem.
Posted Wed, 10 Aug 2022 08:22:33 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi,

To use GOV.UK Verify, you need to have an identity document that was issued by the UK government.

This could be a passport or photocard driving licence. 

You do not have to be a UK citizen. 

Further information is available at :

GOV.UK Verify  .

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.