Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 21 Sep 2023 18:48:25 GMT by Chrissy Richardson
I was today informed that I was owed a tax rebate and that I didn't need to do anything. A cheque was being sent to a company called Tax Tree. I have never heard of them. I called HMRC this afternoon and was asked if I had asked them to do a claim and no, I hadn't. I was told they had a signed form. How can I get a copy of this to compare the signature. This done at the beginning of June this year and certainly haven't signed anything. I asked if the cheque had been mailed out to them yet and was told no, so I said cancel it. Because I have read that they do this a lot and keep the money. In some cases people get bills to pay this Tax Tree, when they have never heard of them. Surely something can be done to stop people like this!! we got cut off before we had finished the conversation, But I was told to call Action Fraud, which I did and filed a report, but by the looks of the email I have received back, there is nothing they can do. Has anyone else had dealings with this company? How can I get a copy of the form I supposidly filled in?
Posted Mon, 02 Oct 2023 10:03:33 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

If you did not sign the authortiy for the repayment to go to the thid party, contacting action fraud was the correct thing to do. It could have been that the authority for the third party to submit a claim was done online.

If you want a copy of anything we hold you can write us:

PAYE & Self Assessment,

Thank you. 
Posted Fri, 13 Oct 2023 10:30:17 GMT by Nicholas Evans
My Wife had the same issue regards Tax Tree (never heard of them). HMRC kindly provided the authorisation document and the authorising signature is clearly fake.She was abroad on the date the document was signed. The actual registered company is called Fast Finance Solutions as Tax Tree If this is the case, I cannot understand why HMRC would send the cheque to a Barclays Bank account in the name of Tax Tree, an unregistered company. In any case i have contacted "Tax Tree" requesting they refund the full amount claimed to HMRC or my wife. If this fails i intend to serve a CCJ on them. Directors details are on Companies House website.
Posted Sat, 14 Oct 2023 16:47:30 GMT by Chrissy Richardson
Thats handy to know. I have now been sent a copy of the documents from HMRC and I have the same issue. The signature is not mine! I haven't been in touch with Tax Tree yet, as HMRC were not sure if the cheque had been stopped or, if not, if it had ben chashed. They said to call back after the 12th October. I am going to ring them on Monday. Nicolas, Can I ask what Tax Tree said to you when you requested the refund? Because I will ringing them and saying the same if they have cashed they cheque.
Posted Tue, 17 Oct 2023 23:38:16 GMT by Nicholas Evans
Not had a reply from Tax Tree via email yet as i prefer a hard copy of any contact with them. After further investigation it appears their ICO ( Information commissioners office) registration number is fake. It may not seem anything but just done a company course on General data protection rules. It governs how a company deals with your personal data. It is a serious issue for all companies even sole traders have to comply. Penalties for infringement are massive cost BA £20M. Have issued a compaint with HMRC dealing with a company without a valid certificate. Phoned them on a unrelated issue and when they looked at my history they hung up ! Not a happy Bunny ! What really annoys me is that there are numurious complaints on lots of forums regarding this company yet HMRC continue to deal with them. I understand many complaints may be about Taxtree fees but most seem to be they have had no contact with them at all. I cannot understand how a goverment body accepts a fake signature without informing you that a company is claiming refunds on your behalf and sending a cheque directly to them. I would be interested to know if you have received any communication from HMRC regarding this refund as I have'nt.
Posted Wed, 18 Oct 2023 05:08:02 GMT by June2Bob Karlstad
My husband received a letter saying he was due a tax refund which was being sent to a company called Haytch Accountants. The cheque should have been for £178. Of this my husband received £32. They had taken over £140 in fees! He did not authorise this company to act on his behalf. My husband is an 82 year old pensioner. This is a money grabbing scam. Does HMRC condone this practise? Why did they not pay this directly into his bank account. I am taking this to my local MP and the media as HMRC seem reluctant to help my husband. This practice needs to stop!
Posted Fri, 27 Oct 2023 09:38:01 GMT by Lisa McGonigle
I have never authorised this company. Are they a scam? I want to see any paperwork that has my signature on it.
Posted Thu, 02 Nov 2023 09:43:40 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Lisa McGonigle,
You would need to contact HMRC to have a copy of the paperwork sent to you.
Contact HMRC
Thank you.
Posted Fri, 10 Nov 2023 13:49:00 GMT by Geraldine Barry
I have had two letters from HMRC saying I was owed £18 back in March cheque being sent to Taxtree who I have never heard of them two days ago another letter from HMRC saying the owed me £126 first time I thought it was a scam until I read the reviews about this company I emailed them asking for my money and the email bounced back address not known what can I do
Posted Mon, 20 Nov 2023 11:39:49 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

If a fraudulent claim has been submitted on your behalf then you would need to report the details to action fraud 0300 123 2040 or visit their website below.

Action Fraud - National Fraud & Cyber Crime Reporting Centre

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.