Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 28 Nov 2022 11:46:45 GMT by Maor
I have received a total of £2,170 in dividends from investment funds in the FY21 tax year ending April 2022. £1,230 of these were UK authorised unit trust OEIC dividends, and automatically reinvested in the funds from which they came. £940 were overseas dividends, and paid out in cash. I am a homemaker with no other income beyond this, and my understanding is that I do not have to pay dividend tax because my income including dividends falls within my personal tax allowance, however as the total dividends paid is over the £2000 dividend allowance, I am not sure if I need to report this to HMRC, and if so, how I should do that as I currently do not submit a self assessment tax return. Can you please advise how I should proceed. Many thanks.
Posted Tue, 29 Nov 2022 15:45:31 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

As you are in receipt of foreign dividends, you meet the criteria for self assessement. 

See link:

Check if you need to send a Self Assessment tax return  . 

You will also find guidance on reporting your foreign income at:

Tax on foreign income  . 

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.