Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 06 Mar 2022 22:29:23 GMT by C Chung
I moved to the UK on a work visa. My last employment in Hong Kong ended before I moved to the UK. And I received a Mandatory Provident Fund (MPF, a form of pension) lumpsum arising from my previous employment after arriving in the UK. According to UK/Hong Kong Double Taxation Agreement and Protocol - Article 17, pension arising in Hong Kong is taxable in Hong Kong only. But since I don’t need to pay tax for my MPF in Hong Kong, I will not need to declare this MPF lumpsum in the tax return. Is my understanding correct? Thank you.
Posted Mon, 07 Mar 2022 12:36:40 GMT by HMRC Admin 2

Yes, this is correct.

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 13 Sep 2022 07:29:40 GMT by Can
Hi, I get the provident fund from my employer after my resignation . if I get this provident fund after I move to UK, then I need to pay tax on this issue. Thank You!
Posted Wed, 14 Sep 2022 10:10:04 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

The Hong Kong pension is not taxable in the UK   .

Thank you.
Posted Sat, 14 Jan 2023 12:08:12 GMT by Wai Kit Yeung
I retired from the Hong Kong Government before I moved to the UK. As I have to pay tax for the monthly pension to the Hong Kong Government, I will not be be taxed in the UK in accordance with the provision of the Double Taxation Agreement and Protocol - Article 17 between UK and Hong Kong. Please advice whether my understanding is correct?
Posted Wed, 18 Jan 2023 13:25:53 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

That is correct. You do not need to report this income to the UK.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.