Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 19 May 2023 00:07:57 GMT by B
if i work for a UK company but live aboard for over the year/ how does the taxes work. Also can someone explain what the double tax treatie is? And how it could effect me? I was thinking of moving on a visa for a year or go country hopping as much as I can. Do I also need to claim for anything or pay additionally for anything to my employer or UK government? Do I still get taxed in my payslip as normal, my NI, UK pension and also income tax? I work remote and I'm able to work at home full time. Do I have to tell my employer if I go live in another country, or will they find out anyway, I don't own a home, as living with my parents still. My employer has offices in alot of countries.
Posted Wed, 24 May 2023 14:08:27 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
If a double taxation agreement exists between the UK and your country of residence, you may find that your UK employment is not taxable in the UK, but your country of residence (as foreign employment income).  
If you are not going to be resident in any country long enough to be classed as resident, you may find your income is still taxable in the UK.  
You would need to advise your employer that you have move to another country.  
Please take a look at the guidance on residence:
Residence, domicile and the remittance basis: RDR1 and the notes for the statutory residency tests at:
RDR3: Statutory Residence Test (SRT) notes

You must be signed in to post in this forum.