Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 12 May 2023 12:06:16 GMT by Robert
Hi guys, So I registered for self assessment several years ago when i started up a small business after covid. While I was doing this I was also working part time. In the end the business failed and I did not end up needing to pay any tax, but I must have made a mistake in one of the parts of my form, (I believe in the payments made to hmrc by my employer) and now HMRC has sent me a cheque for £183. Obviously this must be some mistake as there is no way they can owe me any money and I of course have no intention to cash the cheque whatsoever but what do I do know? Can I contact HMRC and get them to fix the balance? I want to do the right thing but I am scared I might be hit be a fee for this mistake. Any advice would be much appreciated
Posted Fri, 19 May 2023 10:47:42 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
If you contact our Self Assessment department we will be able to discuss this with you:
Self Assessment: general enquiries

You must be signed in to post in this forum.