Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 09 Oct 2021 01:26:04 GMT by jeff boy
Dear HMRC If I am a foreign national with permanent leave to remain in the United Kingdom. My father (he is a malaysian and residing in malaysia) has passed away and his assets (house) pass to me. I intend to stay in the house (Malaysia) without a rent. Do I have to pay Tax in the United Kingdom? For your information I am a disabled Person. And what to do if i am british citizen? Please advice Thank You
Posted Mon, 11 Oct 2021 13:42:47 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Thank you for your question.

The taxation will depend on your residency status if you either later rent out the property or sell the property.

Owning a property outside the UK with no income being received from it does not incur a tax charge.

Please see below for guidence on residency.

I have included a link to the double taxation agreement also for your convience:

CG26100 - Capital Gains manual: individuals: effects of residence, ordinary residence and domicile: temporary non-residents: Arrival in and departure from UK: temporary non-residence: introduction     and :

CG64485 - Private residence relief: only or main residence: two or more residences: right of nomination  and :

Malaysia: tax treaties  .

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 15 Feb 2022 21:51:01 GMT by Wooi Cheang Goh
Dear HMRC, I arrived UK on 15-Sep-2021 from Singapore and I am a tax payer. I have a few questions about tax 1. I have a house in Singapore, my wife and daughter still live at the house, if my wife and daughter join me at UK in September 2022, what is the cut off time for me to sell my house so that I no need to pay capital gain tax? 2. I have saving in Singapore bank; do I need to pay tax if I transfer my money from Singapore to UK bank?
Posted Wed, 16 Feb 2022 14:19:05 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

If this was your main home then you would be entitled to private residence relief for the period of time that you lived in the property
plus the final 9 months of ownership.

There are no income tax implcations on transferring money from one account to another.

See link:

Capital Gains Manual    .

Thank you.
Posted Sun, 20 Feb 2022 15:19:28 GMT by Wooi Cheang Goh
Hi , This is still considered my main home because my wife and daughter still live at the house, I am not able to sell it. In this case, when is the start of the 9 months? From the time I reach UK or from the time they move out from the house and join me in UK?
Posted Mon, 21 Feb 2022 15:34:35 GMT by HMRC Admin 18

Please see guidance here what the definition of main home for private residence relief purposes:

Capital Gains Manual

The 9 months refer to the final 9 months of ownership. 

Thank you.


You must be signed in to post in this forum.