Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 08 Feb 2023 12:48:19 GMT by Katherine Irwin
Hello I want to do a voluntary contribution as there is a gap for NI for me for tax year 2014-15. I have tried calling the number and waited 25 minutes yesterday and 21 minutes today. Calls cost me quite a bit (I use a VOIP system). Is there an address I can write to, to request the 18 digit ref. number please?
Posted Wed, 15 Feb 2023 10:06:11 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Katherine Irwin,

You should confirm with DWP that making a payment pre 2016-2017 will enhance your state pension entitlement you can do this by requesting a pension forecast at: Check your State Pension forecast
You  can also write to the following address for the payment information:
PT Operations 

Thank you.

Posted Tue, 28 Feb 2023 10:01:32 GMT by ElkeH
Success! Just to say that I got through to somebody yesterday after 1h 10 min in my 2nd attempt. Talked to a very friendly adviser, got my reference number, all sorted. It would be very helpful to know where one is in the queue so that one does not give up before one gets to the head of the queue.
Posted Wed, 01 Mar 2023 08:24:18 GMT by Newuser123
Could you please share which number and options you used? I've been trying for over a week, 0800 731 0175 just cuts me off after listening to all options and then 0300 several times kept me waiting for 1h 15 min and then cut
Posted Wed, 01 Mar 2023 08:43:02 GMT by Rachel Dance
I am also doing battle with the phone lines and cannot even get to a queue!! I keep getting ‘we cannot deal with your call, goodbye’ , and this is AFTER some layers of menus and even security where i have disclosed my NI number. I want to make contributions for NI years and need the 18 digit ref to do it, and the future pensions people have told me this is the only way to do it and I must contact HMRC, but I cannot get through after multiple tries - I’m likely to miss the deadline at this rate. Is there another way I can do this?!
Posted Thu, 02 Mar 2023 11:09:01 GMT by ACB
Hello! I have an 18-digit reference number starting with “6099999” which was given to me on 7th Feb 2023 by a very helpful HMRC agent which helped me make voluntary Class 3 NI contributions for multiple years prior to 2016-2017 (including year 2016-2017). I now wish to make Class 3 NI contributions for five years from 2017-18 to 2021-22. From my NI record, I know the amounts to be paid for each of these years to convert them to “Full” status. I have also confirmed with the DWP/Pension Centre Helpline that these amounts will enhance my State pension entitlement. My queries: 1) Can I use the same 18-digit reference number (“6099999….”) issued to me on 7th Feb 2023 to make a one-time payment for these five years? 2) Can I also use the same reference number for making a one-time Class 3 voluntary contribution for the current tax year (2022-2023)?
Posted Mon, 06 Mar 2023 15:26:33 GMT by HMRC Admin 2
Hi Rachel Dance,

As long as you have confirmed with DWP that you will benefit from paying for a particular tax year. If you are still unable to get through to an advisor at HMRC for your18 digit reference number, you can then send HMRC your payment by cheque, without an 18 digit reference number.

Please see the following information on how to pay by cheque.

By cheque through the post

You can pay by sending a cheque to:

HM Revenue and Customs
National Insurance Contributions and Employer Office

Allow 3 working days for your payment to reach HMRC.

What to include

Make your cheque payable to ‘HM Revenue and Customs only’.

Write your Class 3 National Insurance reference number on the back of the cheque. You’ll find this on your payslip.

Include the payslip HMRC sent you. Do not fold your HMRC payslip or cheque, or fasten them together.
If you want a receipt, include a note asking for one.

If you do not have an HMRC payslip

Include a note with:
  • your name, address and phone number
  • your Class 3 National Insurance contributions reference number (or National Insurance number)
  • how much you’re paying
  • the period you’re paying for
You can find further information on how to pay voluntary Class 3 National Insurance here:

Pay voluntary Class 3 National Insurance

Thank you
Posted Tue, 07 Mar 2023 12:15:58 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

You can use the same 18 digit reference number for other years. However, you should let us know which years you want any payments to be allocated to.

You can do this by contacting our help line on 0300 20 3500 (lines may not be as busy after April, when the deadline for earlier tax years has ended) or by writing to HMRC at the following address.

National Insurance Contributions & Employer Office
PT Operations North East England
HM Revenue and Customs

You should include your name, address and National Insurance number on your letter.

Thank you.

Posted Tue, 14 Mar 2023 14:38:23 GMT by SteveE
Hi. I have an 18 digit number obtained a couple of weeks ago. I’m now ready to pay but it’s over £4k. I think my back payment limit is £2k per transaction - I’m checking. If this is the case can I use the same 28 digit ref number twice to pay for all the years? Thanks
Posted Fri, 17 Mar 2023 14:35:06 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi SteveE,

As your payment will be over £1000.00 you can use the same reference but change the first 7 digits to 6099999, the remaining reference will stay the same.

You don’t have to make separate payments but if your more comfortable to do it that way that is acceptable.

Thank you.

Posted Mon, 03 Apr 2023 12:15:43 GMT by Mart1
I am having an absolute nightmare getting through to anyone on the phone. I have spent 4 hours trying different numbers, different options etc & just get cut off. Im trying to pay a NI contribution to complete all payments but cant find a reference anywhere! I know dates & how much but cant speak to anyone to get the reference

You must be signed in to post in this forum.