Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 23 May 2023 14:02:23 GMT by Paloma Serrano
Hi. I am leaving the uk I would say permanently as you never know. I have contributed 5 years to the state pension and I would like to keep contributing to make 10 years and qualify to get my pension whenever I am able to. Is this possible? can I finish all my things here in uk and still pay for my NiN? I have settled status so I am able to return to the UK within 5 years. I may regret my move and come back so I would like to do this. any advice?
Posted Tue, 23 May 2023 15:12:28 GMT by HMRC Admin 5

The PTA will show you the tax code it will not give you a detailed breakdown.

Thank you
Posted Tue, 23 May 2023 15:26:40 GMT by Gary C
Dear HMRC Admin 5. I fear you have not answered Palomo Serrano's question, which is about continuing to pay Class 2 or 3 NI once they leave the UK. Surely, they should complete a CF83 to establish whether they can pay Class 2 or 3 and to set up a future payment arrangement? Also, for Palermo Serrano, as you are covered by the Withdrawal Agreement, the EU rules on the coordination of social security systems continue to apply, so you can aggregate your other EU years with your UK years to reach the 10-year requirement anyway. You would then get 5/35 x £max state pension in due course. Each other EU country in which you have worked (or work if you are an EU citizen) will apply the same rules to aggregate your 5 (or more if you continue to pay NI) UK years. The above does not negate your considerations of paying future NI years in the UK as you will ultimately get a pension from the UK and each EU country in which you work, so you could pay sufficient voluntary contributions in the UK (as long as you qualify) to achieve a maximum UK pension.
Posted Tue, 23 May 2023 15:40:26 GMT by Paloma Serrano
hi @Gary Coombs. I've been working in the UK for 5 years, I won't be moving to EU. I will be moving to Mexico my country. so I would like to continue contributing if possible to reach the 10 years, and/or in case I decide to come back to Uk. From what I understand I can keep paying it under class 3. didn;t quite get class 2. thank you
Posted Fri, 26 May 2023 14:44:11 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Paloma,

You will need to complete application form CF83 for HMRC to check if you are eligible to pay voluntary National Insurance contributions whilst you are abroad.
The application form can be found on the website by searching for leaflet NI38.
This leaflet provides you with further information, and the CF83 application form is located within the same link:-
Social Security abroad: NI38

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.