Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 11 Aug 2023 15:51:04 GMT by Skinny
Hi, I am trying to help my retired parents to register the Self assessment. Although they have retired but they have some interest in overseas bank saving account from Hong Kong. I have filled in and posted the SA1 to HMRC on 20 Jul 2023 by royal mail. But I still haven't received their UTR letter from the HMRC today (11 Aug 2023). I have created the government GATEWAY account for my mother before, but since she is retired, she didn't have the NI, she got "The information you gave does not match our records" in her gateway when the system need to verify her identity (Need her NI) Please advise? I should still wait for the UTR letter? Where can I get her UTR for tax self-assessment if the online route is not ok? I need to apply for NI for them even they are retired? Thanks.
Posted Wed, 16 Aug 2023 08:48:20 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Skinnyy,
The current tax year ends on 5 April 2024, so there is time for the Self Assessment registration to be processed and posted to your parents.
The Self Assessment helpline is closed until 4 September 2023.
For National Insurance enquiries helpline is 0300 200 3500 (Monday to Friday: 8am to 6pm).
Thank you. 

Posted Sun, 27 Aug 2023 20:39:31 GMT by Skinny
My father came to UK with me by BNO visa in last year. He is retired long time ago. He received money from Hong Kong "Old Age Living Allowances" from HK government. "Old Age Living Allowance" is a kind of special monthly allowance to supplement the living expenses of Hong Kong elderly people aged 65 or above who are in need of financial support. I would like to confirm if this is needed to be declared to the HMRC as foreign income?
Posted Fri, 01 Sep 2023 12:50:38 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Skinny,

The Old Age Living Allowance (OALA) is not taxable in the UK and does not need to be declared as foreign income.

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 01 Sep 2023 14:20:04 GMT by Skinny
Dear HMRC team, Thanks you for all your answers. I have got the HMRC letters which I mentioned before, and will declare accordingly. Thank you.
Posted Fri, 08 Sep 2023 15:13:59 GMT by Skinny
I have further question. My mother has had a Cash value life insurance for a long time in Hong Kong. She has terminated the insurance and will get back the cash surrender value in Hong Kong. She needs to declare this value as an overseas income?
Posted Mon, 18 Sep 2023 12:21:20 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
It would need to be declare on SA106 of a self assesment tax return, in the section for chargeable event gains.
Posted Thu, 12 Oct 2023 16:59:23 GMT by irene c
May I confirm again, if I have been qualified to use the spilt year treatment, am I able to file the tax return online, or I must use the third party software for the submission? Thanks! As I can’t find a SA109 section in the online application.
Posted Tue, 17 Oct 2023 14:44:00 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi irene c
The SA109 is unavailable online from HMRC, but you may wish to submit it online using commercial software.                                                        File your Self Assessment tax return online

You must be signed in to post in this forum.