Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 21 Mar 2023 23:09:57 GMT by Lulu40 Slade
I started a second job in September last year. The first month I was emergency taxed, in October I contacted HMRC and my second job tax code was amended to 292TX I continued to pay tax. I contacted HMRC again at the end of October and the man I spoke to was very helpful. He amended my tax codes on both jobs and split my allowance. One job with tax code 757L the second job with tax code 500T. He advised me that any tax I had paid would be refunded in my wages. I’ve received no payments back in fact I’ve continued to be taxed every month. I do not earn above the personal tax allowance. Please can you advise whether I will receive a tax refund at the end of the tax year through HMRC or will it come from my employer. Is there anything else I need to do?
Posted Tue, 28 Mar 2023 10:24:27 GMT by HMRC Admin 18

After the tax year has ended and we receive end of year details from employers, we start to do tax calculations and if you are due a refund or have underpaid tax, you will be contacted. The calculations usually start from towards the end of June.

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 28 Mar 2023 10:36:32 GMT by Lulu40 Slade
That's great, many thanks. I don't understand why i am paying any tax though as between both jobs i do not earn above the personal allowance? When my tax code was amended from 292TX to 500TX i was advised that my employer would stop taxing me and that they would refund me any paid tax through my wages, why would this have not happened and why do i continue to pay tax when i was advised otherwise by the HMRC? Thanks for your help!
Posted Fri, 31 Mar 2023 11:48:47 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Lulu40 Slade,

If your tax code ends in 'X' this is an emergency version of the code and will not backdate your allowances to the start of the year and would not generate a refund.

After the tax year has ended, (5 April 2023) we will receive end of year confirmation of your earnings and we will do a tax calculation and contact you if there is a refund due.

Or, once your employer provides you with your P60 details you can contact our helpline to update your earnings. 

P45, P60 and P11D forms: workers' guide

Income Tax: general enquiries

Thank you. 
Posted Sat, 01 Apr 2023 06:01:13 GMT by Reenavincy Vincent Devaraj
Hi hmrc team, my name is reenavincy and I have been working in the UK from 2015 Nov and was in a job with an employer from Nov 2015 till Dec 2021 and joined a new job on Jan 10th 2022. My tax code has always been 1257L till April 5th 2022 and suddenly after that it is now 402TX, I am in a single job and when I joined my new employee I submitted my previous employment p45 aswell, still why now my tax code is wrong? Pls help me understand
Posted Thu, 13 Apr 2023 10:19:34 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

If your new job came onto the system as a secondary source, it may still be trying to allocate tax allowance to your old job.

You will need to query this with our Income Tax team.

Income Tax: general enquiries

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 13 Apr 2023 18:09:41 GMT by Quest Brown
I am still waiting for my tax refund for 2022 / 2023 to be sorted out. I have called numerous times only to be in a queue for over an hour before eventually giving up. I have tried online only to get a message that I will be notified by 5th April whether I am due a refund. The issue is my pension and the income from my job is less than 30k per year and I am surprised by the amount of tax that I pay every month.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.