Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 19 Nov 2021 20:21:38 GMT by Pippi123
Dear HMRC, I am tax resident in the UK. My parents (tax resident in the EU) would like to make a monetary gift to me to help me paying my mortgage in the UK. Can you please help me with the following questions: 1. Is there a maximum amount for monetary gifts from the EU to the UK? 2. Do I need to declare this money to HMRC? 3. Do I have to pay tax on this donation in the UK (my parents are tax resident in a EU country and will pay tax on this donation there)? Many thanks for your advice.
Posted Tue, 23 Nov 2021 14:20:07 GMT by HMRC Admin 29

There is not a limit for Income Tax on monetary gifts as these are not subject to Income Tax.

If they are held in a bank account that generates interest, then this interest would be taxable. You would only need to then declare the interest only to HMRC. 

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.