Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 30 Nov 2022 10:36:18 GMT by lhlh
Hello, I hope you are doing well. I would like to get to know more about eligibility for basic state pension. My parents are planning to move to the United Kingdom through the British National Overseas Visa. They are both pensioners (both reaches age of 65 as of 2022). We are wondering if they are eligible to apply for basic state pension once they have paid for 10 years of volunteer national insurance? Thank you!
Posted Wed, 30 Nov 2022 12:45:04 GMT by HMRC Admin 32
Hi,

Please contact the Pension Service for advice.

Thank you.

Posted Wed, 30 Nov 2022 17:13:34 GMT by lhlh
Hi HMRC, Thank you for your reply. I contacted Pension Service (Telephone: 0800 731 0469) but the lady over the phone advised me to ask HMRC instead. May I know if any other government agencies could help clarify the problem? Thank you!
Posted Wed, 30 Nov 2022 17:39:28 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi
Please look here for information on eligibilty to state pension. 
The basic State Pension
Thankyou.
Regards.
Posted Wed, 30 Nov 2022 20:05:57 GMT by lhlh
Hi HMRC, Thank you for your reply. I have read through the article from http://www.gov.uk/state-pension/eligibility. However, I am still not sure if my parents are eligible to get basic state pension (both reaches age of 65 as of 2022 and under pre-settled status) once they have paid 10 years of voluntary contributions. Grateful please advise. Thank you very much.
Posted Thu, 01 Dec 2022 18:22:10 GMT by Gary Coombs
I wonder if people are talking at cross-purposes here. If I read the question correctly lhlh is asking whether their parents will be able to pay Class 3 NIC when they arrive in the UK to build entitlement to a UK state pension. As I understand it, it is not possible to pay voluntarily NIC for years that pre-date residence and allocation of a NI number. And as both parents are already 65, presumably reaching state pension age at 66 in 2023, then even if they would be eligible to pay voluntary NIC after taking up UK residence, are they not already past the age at which one stops paying NIC voluntarily, i.e. at the end of the tax year one reaches state pension age (as part year voluntary NIC will not add to pension entitlement)? Or am I missing the point too?
Posted Mon, 12 Dec 2022 12:57:07 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi lhlh
Without specifics I can only give general information. 
A person who wishes to pay Class 3 NICs for a tax year ('the relevant tax year') must satisfy conditions as to residence or presence in Great Britain or Northern Ireland in relation to that tax year.
Those conditions are that the person:
•    is resident in either Great Britain or Northern Ireland throughout the relevant tax year; or
•    has arrived in either Great Britain or Northern Ireland during the relevant tax year and is liable, or has been liable, to pay Class 1 or Class 2 NICs for an earlier period in the relevant tax year; or
•    has arrived in either Great Britain or Northern Ireland during the relevant tax year and was either:
•    ordinarily resident in either of those countries throughout the whole of the relevant tax year; or
•    became ordinarily resident in either of those countries during the course of the relevant tax year; or
•    although not ordinarily resident in either Great Britain or Northern Ireland:
•    has arrived in the relevant tax year or the previous tax year; and
•    has been continuously present in either Great Britain or Northern Ireland for 26 complete contribution weeks.
In such a case, where the arrival was in the previous tax year, the person is entitled to pay only for the relevant tax year.
The above information will be subject to whether the individual has an NI number/ or that they can register for one.
Thankyou.
Regards.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.