Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 04 Oct 2021 08:06:00 GMT by Katie
I am a non resident, have been for 15years ish. I have never filled a tax return as my income was very low from ( bank interest, Uk & Foreign dividends) and the income always was well below the allowance. I am I correct in this? However my dividends have in the past year gone over the dividend allowance but I am still well under the allowance do I need to fill a return because of this? Foreign dividends do I need to do anything special here? Still small amount and well within personal allowance. Also my foreign dividends have had overseas tax taken off. In the early years of non residency 2007-2016 I was earning reasonable interest which I paid tax on. Can I claim this back? Thank you
Posted Tue, 05 Oct 2021 11:10:08 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

If you are not resident in the UK, the tax you pay on all your income can't be more than the amount of tax that would be chargeable on income, other than the     'disregarded income shown below, but before the deuciton of any personal allowances due  .

Plus the amount of tax deducted at souce from the 'diregarded income'  'diregarded income' included  dividends from UK Companies.  

See link below for more information :

HS300 Non-residents and investment income (2019)  .

PAYE  customers who do not file a tax return have 4 years to send us repayment claims, for 2015/16 the claim deadline was 5 April 2020.   

Thank you.                              
Posted Wed, 06 Oct 2021 06:56:28 GMT by Katie
Hello, thank you for your reply. I am very confused. Sorry your saying I have to fill out a self assessment return? When I called previously I was informed I did not have to. Should I fill one out regardless? What form do I need to fill out? Was previously told R43 & have filled these out, but that doesn’t cover foreign dividends? Sorry more confused than ever.
Posted Thu, 07 Oct 2021 09:19:50 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

If you are non resident you will not report your foreign dividends to the UK.

The R43 form is for non residents to claim the personal allowance, if relevant.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.