Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 28 Mar 2023 14:49:00 GMT by krisz Stichler
Dear all, I am owed some tax refund to be settled by HMRC after having left the UK and I am about to complete the P85 form. The form asks where to pay the tax refund. Since I still have a UK bank account, can I just ask the refund to be transferred to this account? I am a bit confused about the cheque mentioned... Which option should I select? ' Option one: pay cheque to Uk bank or building society' or Option 2: 'pay by cheque direct to me or my nominee'. It is the second one I believe I should choose right? Since I am the account owner, no nominee is needed. However I don't understand why a cheque is needed in this case if I still possess a live and valid Uk account? Can I just give my bank account details on the form or should I also choose 'make the cheque payable to me'? The form also asks, 'please tell us the address to send the cheque to'... since I have no UK addess anymore, can I give my foreign address?Also, under the bank details, which branch's address shoudl I give? Any branches in London are fine or the central (HQ) address of the bank should be given here? Thank you for your help.
Posted Fri, 31 Mar 2023 12:19:05 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

If we are processing a refund that is for the current tax year, we can not send this directly to your bank account.

You can use a foreign address. We can not send the cheque direct to your bank.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.