Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 28 Mar 2024 02:05:05 GMT by SazC
Hi there, last year I claimed my small pension pot, out of which the expected amount of tax was withheld by the provider, and funds remitted to me in Australia by funds transfer. HMRC then advised the tax would be refunded (also expected), and sent me a cheque in pounds. I was advised by my bank that they can no longer accept cheques in currency other than Australian dollars (and that all cheques are being phased out over time). they advised that I would have to return the cheque and request a fund transfer, which I did in August 2023. I have since followed up with another letter, as I had not heard anything form HMRC. Today, I received a letter from HMRC, containing... a replacement cheque for the amount of the refund. Obviously, the letters I have sent are lost in the system, or HMRC cannot process/send fund transfers? can anyone advise me on the bet course of action here? thank you Saz
Posted Tue, 02 Apr 2024 13:20:08 GMT by HMRC Admin 8 Response
Hi,
HMRC cannot issue refunds to foreign bank accounts.
You will therefore need to provide details of a nominee that can accept your payment to a UK bank account. you will need to do this in writing and also return the cheque to confirm it has not been cashed.
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.