Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 09 Nov 2022 13:09:04 GMT by Marina
Hi, I'm from Hong Kong and came to live in the UK with my BNO visa last year. I've got some money in Hong Kong from the selling of a property before I came here, which I may transfer to the UK from time to time. At the same time, I have been providing service to a Hong Kong company since this year, in which they pay me a certain amount of money to my HK bank account on monthly basis. May I know in such case, do I need to pay tax, or how should I be taxed on the money transferred from my original asset, and from the income I gained through work? Thank you very much for your help.
Posted Mon, 14 Nov 2022 21:55:19 GMT by HMRC Admin 18

You will not need to pay tax on the income from the sale of the property as this was prior to your arrival in the UK. You will need to pay tax on the earnings. See guidance at the link below:

Tax on foreign income

Thank you.


You must be signed in to post in this forum.