Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 11 Aug 2022 08:03:49 GMT by Dasha
Hello, I moved to England from Canada and continue to hold some Canadian-based ETFs. These are global equity ETFs and they do not have reporting or distributing status under HMRC. My question is how do these get reported in the self assessment? As per the summary of investment provided by the broker, each distribution includes not only trust income, but also a small amount of return of capital and a small amount of capital gain (as well as taxes withheld). To be clear, this capital gain is incurred by the ETF trust rebalancing its holdings, and not from me selling shares. I would like to know if the entire distribution (less return of capital) can be accounted for as “dividends from foreign companies,” OR if the trust income and capital gains need to be reported separately? Thank you very much.
Posted Fri, 12 Aug 2022 11:21:02 GMT by HMRC Admin 2

You can find guidance on tax on foreign income here:

Tax on foreign income

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.