Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 19 Nov 2021 16:08:43 GMT by Stephanie
Does anybody have experience of HMRC complaint procedure. I lodged a complaint in October and was told that estimated date for a response would be 11th November. On checking the progress they had logged that “due to technical difficulties..” or HMRC “.. may be busy” I have heard absolutely nothing. On the HMRC website it says that when a complaint is lodged HMRC will tell you: “the name and contact details of the person dealing with your complaint” and “which stage of the complaints process you’re at and what the next step is”. I have not been told either of these things. Not only have I heard nothing they did not bother to notify me that there would be a delay and not until I checked my Government Gateway account did I know about the delay, though they were given my email address and mobile number for contact purposes. Apparently HMRC “will not treat you any differently because you’ve made a complaint”. Sorry but it feels that this is exactly what they are doing. Other people’s experiences may help me understand why I am being ignored.
Posted Mon, 22 Nov 2021 11:56:16 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi,

If you contact the department what your complaint is about, they can pass your details to a team leader
who can contact the complaints department to advise you haven't been contacted so far.

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 10 Oct 2022 09:27:25 GMT by Donna Tippet
Hi My husband has sent in his Tax return vi an accountant and they say they do not have this. We sent a letter recorded delivery chasing his refund for CIS payments and they say they don't have this but was signed for. We have been chasing for 3 months and no one seems to care or help just keep saying not received this. Its a joke I want to know how we can raise a complaint it's just your word against the government so where do you go from there
Posted Wed, 12 Oct 2022 10:17:25 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi,

Please refer to guidance at :

Make a complaint about HMRC     .

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.