Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 18 Jan 2022 02:41:16 GMT by steviekipper
Dear forum, If a non UK resident, must I declare personal investments for capital gains on my self assessment? As far as I understand, it would only be if I had property. And so other personal investments such as Shares, cryptocurrency etc wouldn't need to he declared on the return as a non UK resident, is that correct? Thank you.
Posted Tue, 18 Jan 2022 12:53:50 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

If you are non UK resident you only need to report capital gains on property disposal, not the disposal of shares.

See link:

Tell HMRC about Capital Gains Tax on UK property or land if you’re non-resident   .

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 20 Jan 2022 14:49:40 GMT by steviekipper
Thanks, I have had conflicting responses to this so really want to be sure, please can you let me know the below. On my self-assessment for the past year, being a non-resident - I would not need to declare my own cryptocurrency investments and disposals? Because they are territorial and so remain the affairs of my current residence? – Is this accurate? So if I have UK property that is all I should include? Thank you.
Posted Fri, 21 Jan 2022 13:03:47 GMT by HMRC Admin 2

You are correct. As a non UK resident you would not need to declare any income or capital gains from your cryptocurrency investments and disposals.

Generally, an individual who left the UK to live abroad and ceased to be resident in the UK will not be chargeable on cryptoasset gains made in years of assessment after they left the UK unless their non-residence was temporary and they resume tax residence in the UK within a certain time. An individual who is temporarily non-resident (within the meaning of section 10A TCGA) is chargeable to Capital Gains Tax arising during the period of temporary non-residence in the year of return to the UK.

There is a general exception for those gains accruing from assets both acquired and disposed of in the period of temporary non-residence, which are not linked with an earlier period of residence.

You can find more information here:

HS278 Temporary non-residents and Capital Gains Tax (2021)

You can find guidance for determining the location of cryptoassets here: 

CRYPTO22600 - Cryptoassets for individuals: Capital Gains Tax: determining the location of exchange tokens

Non-resident Capital Gains Tax is charged on direct disposals of UK residential property and extended to cover all direct disposals of UK property and land, and indirect disposals of UK property or land.

Non-resident Capital Gains for land and property in the UK (Self Assessment helpsheet HS307)

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.