Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 11 May 2023 18:45:19 GMT by Simon
Hi agent, I made a convertible loan to a company (that I have no relationship to) as an investment. The loan has now been converted to equity by the company, including my principal and the accrued interest. Do i need to declare the interest in my self assessment for income tax purposes in this tax year? I do not yet have cash since the accrued interest is now in shares instead, can I wait until I sell the shares and then declare the interest income once I receive the cash ? Is there any guidance on how to treat such items in self assessment, I wasn't able to find any advice from internet searching Many thanks in advance.
Posted Wed, 24 May 2023 10:32:03 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Simon,
The interest would be considered 'interest in kind' (relevant guidance is at SAIM2600).
The calculated interest would be the market value of the shares at the time they were acquired, and liable in that year.
SAIM2600 - Interest: interest in kind
Thank you


You must be signed in to post in this forum.