Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 23 Jul 2022 14:54:32 GMT by
Hi, My parents are Canadian, reside in Canada and I'm dual citizenship, British and Canadian, reside in the UK. My parents included me in their will to inherit one million two hundred thousands Canadian dollars. What tax will I have to pay in the UK on this sum? Thank you.
Posted Tue, 26 Jul 2022 11:50:20 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi
Funds received from an overseas inheritance are not liable to income tax.
However you may have to declare any interest that arises when the sum is deposited in a UK bank account.
Thankyou.
Regards.
Posted Thu, 28 Jul 2022 01:11:57 GMT by
Hi, thank you for the response. I was told the inheritance tax in The UK is taxable at 40%, does it mean this applies only on inheritance from UK estate, not inheritance received from abroad? I just want to clarify. Thank you
Posted Fri, 29 Jul 2022 11:44:56 GMT by
Hi Nadine,
Please refer to guidance at:
How Inheritance Tax works: thresholds, rules and allowances
Thank you 
Posted Sun, 18 Sep 2022 18:57:58 GMT by
Hi My parents are in India . They are Indian citizens (Indian domicile) . They want to pass on the money to me and my brother who are in UK. Does the inheritance tax rules (7 year threshold rule )applies to Indian citizens? Do we have to pay any Tax on the money gifted to us. Thank you
Posted Tue, 20 Sep 2022 12:44:11 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi,

There are no tax implications on the giving or receipt of cash gifts, but you may wish to speak to inheritance tax regarding
any inheritance tax implications :

How Inheritance Tax works: thresholds, rules and allowances    and  :

Inheritance Tax: general enquiries    .

Thank you.

Posted Thu, 05 Jan 2023 08:32:11 GMT by
I am a British citizen and domiciled in the UK. My late father who was a Malaysian citizen and had always domiciled in Malaysia. I am inheriting some cash amount made up from his cash deposit account, liquidated shares and unit trusts investments in Malaysia and Singapore. I assume there is no need to pay any UK taxes, such as inheritance and capital gain tax ? Thanks for your assistance.
Posted Wed, 11 Jan 2023 11:47:01 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

There are no Income Tax implications on the giving or receipt of cash gifts, but you may wish to speak to Inheritance Tax regarding any Inheritance Tax implications.

Inheritance Tax: general enquiries

Thank you.
Posted Sat, 21 Jan 2023 16:55:02 GMT by
I am a Swiss citizen living in the UK. My late parents lived in Switzerland. Under Swiss tax rules, my mother was responsible law to pay all taxes on all assets up to her death, but from the time of her death the heirs are responsible individually for paying relevant taxes according to the tax rules of where they live. For the period from my mother's death to the time when the estate will be divided among her heirs and my share will be transferred to me here in the UK, am I liable to UK tax for from interest income etc. accruing to the estate? In other words, does my UK tax liability start when my inheritance is transferred to me, or does it already apply when I only have a future claim on a share of the estate?
Posted Mon, 23 Jan 2023 15:09:21 GMT by
Hi, I am a British resident with British/German dual nationalities. Please can you confirm that there is no inheritance tax if my parents gift me a cash lump sum from Germany. I cannot find this information on the link you provided ( How Inheritance Tax works: thresholds, rules and allowances). Many thanks for your help.
Posted Tue, 24 Jan 2023 13:44:55 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi,

Please refer to guidance at :

How Inheritance Tax works: thresholds, rules and allowances   .

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 25 Jan 2023 11:04:10 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Andy123,

There are no tax implications on the giving or receipt of cash gifts, but you may wish to speak to inheritance tax regarding any inheritance tax implications
and
Inheritance Tax: general enquiries 

Thank you.

Posted Tue, 28 Feb 2023 13:07:30 GMT by
Hi I moved from the UK to Italy 10 years ago. I still own a property in the UK from when I lived there. If I leave this property to my children, who also live in Italy, will they have to pay UK inheritance tax when I die, even if neither myself or they are UK residents? Thank you
Posted Wed, 01 Mar 2023 09:28:50 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi bluestreek bluestreek,

Please refer to guidance here:

Thank you. 
Posted Wed, 15 Mar 2023 15:00:25 GMT by
Hi My grandfather died overseas and he is not a UK tax resident, I inherited 1 million HKD from him and I would like to remit them to UK, whether I need to declare it to HMRC or not? Thank you
Posted Wed, 15 Mar 2023 17:50:42 GMT by
My grandmother recently died living in the US and had accrued US assets over her time there. She married a US citizen in 1997 and shortly after moved there to live with him, only returning to the UK for holidays however she had not been over in the last 7 years of her life. She kept her home in the UK for holidaying purposes and had UK bank accounts, though they have not been used in many years and as such went into dormancy. I am trying to establish for IHT purposes whether she is deemed a non-dom on the basis of that information.
Posted Tue, 21 Mar 2023 15:10:08 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi zszspz,

if you are living in the UK when you inherit money or property from overseas, or someone living overseas, whether or not you will have to pay UK tax on inheritance from

broad will depend on where the deceased was domiciled and where their assets are located

Please contact the Inheritance Tax helpline on 0300 123 1072.

Thank you. 

Posted Tue, 21 Mar 2023 15:28:56 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi rlovett,

Please refer to guidance here:

Inheritance Tax deemed domicile rules

It is up to the indivudual to determine their domicile status based on the guidance provided as HMRC cannot do this.

Thank you. 
Posted Fri, 24 Mar 2023 17:35:18 GMT by
Hi, I no longer live in the UK nor am a UK citizen but I still have a UK bank account there. What are the tax implications if I receive cash from a family member overseas (approx 145,000 pounds) in my UK bank account? Thanks
Posted Tue, 28 Mar 2023 13:51:36 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi,
There are no income tax implications re: gifts of cash from relatives, but you may have to pay tax on any bank interest generated.                   

See links:

Tax on savings interest  .

Enquiries re: any Inheritance Tax inplications should be directed to HMRC's dedicated helpline :                                             :

Inheritance Tax: general enquiries  .

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.