Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 17 Nov 2022 10:54:27 GMT by Joe Fong
I trade UK listed securities through my brokerage account in Hong Kong. Would the dividends and gains from these securities still be considered as UK income and gains? Many thanks for help.
Posted Fri, 18 Nov 2022 16:24:28 GMT by HMRC Admin 2

If you are UK tax resident and domicile then you are liable to tax on your worldwide income in the UK.

Tax on foreign income

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 18 Nov 2022 18:09:59 GMT by Joe Fong
Hi, thanks for getting back. As I am non-domiciled I will be liable to tax on my UK income only. This is why I need to know if my income and gains from UK securities via a foreign brokerage account still constitute UK income.
Posted Tue, 22 Nov 2022 12:02:18 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

Guidance at RDRM33050 gives practical examples of remittances to the UK. While the list of examples is not exhaustive, it is likely that your trading in this way will attract UK tax, as there are may other ways in which remittances can occur.  

RDRM33050 - Remittance Basis: Practical Examples of Remittances to the UK

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.