Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 31 Aug 2022 09:58:40 GMT by Chris86
Hello all, I (UK citizen) am currently on long-term sick leave, and claiming income protection insurance through my UK based employer. As the cost of living in the UK became too high for my reduced salary, I have recently moved to Ireland to stay with family. To continue claiming my insurance, however, I need to be categorised as a UK taxpayer. My understanding is that I'll continue to be classified as a UK taxpayer for up to 6 months of living in Ireland for this tax year, but after that, my status changes, and I'll therefore no longer be able to claim my insurance payments. Is that correct? Is there a way to extend my UK taxpayer status, so that I can continue claiming beyond the 6 months? Many thanks in advance for your help, I've found the online guidance on the subject to be a little confusing. Chris
Posted Wed, 07 Sep 2022 09:27:00 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

You will need to complete the residency tests to determine whether your are classed as resident or non resident in the UK. They can be found here:

RDR3: Statutory Residence Test (SRT) notes

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.