Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 07 Dec 2022 02:23:30 GMT by burrito
Hi, two weeks ago I have requested a tax refund online. After calling HMRC today they said I would get a letter with the cheque in 2-4 weeks. The problem is that I will be traveling for a few months and I need the money from the refund for my trip. Can my flatmate bring the cheque to my bank for me or do I need some form of ID in order to do that? (My bank is Nationwide, but I also have Lloyds if that makes a difference) Would it also be possible to request payment by bank transfer instead? If yes, how can I request this? Unfortunately I had a hard time understanding the HMRC person due to accent and bad phone connection. I think he mentioned something about getting the refund by bank transfer, but I don't know how.
Posted Fri, 09 Dec 2022 13:19:52 GMT by HMRC Admin 32
Hi,

You will need to check with your bank to see if they would accept that.

You would need to call our helpline again to query if we can cancel the cheque however it may already have been issued and cancellation can take up to 14 weeks.

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 09 Dec 2022 15:48:50 GMT by burrito
Hi, thank you. The tracking status of my refund request says: - Received on 22 Nov 2022 - Processing complete (It doesn't say when) When can I roughly expect the cheque? Will this be sent to me immediately after the processing completed or will I first get another letter that informs me about the amount that I get and why, which is then followed by the cheque later?
Posted Mon, 12 Dec 2022 13:56:03 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi,

If you have not received the cheque or a letter within 3 weeks, please contact our helpline :

Income Tax: general enquiries      .

Thank you.
Posted Sun, 18 Dec 2022 22:19:29 GMT by burrito
Hi, thanks. I have received the monies and the explanation letter now. For everyone reading here and wondering how long it took: Submitted refund form online on the 22nd of November and received the cheque on the 14th of December. So it took a bit more than 3 weeks. However I have to say the information that I was given on the HMRC phone was either completely wrong or the guy had such a heavy accent that I just understood something different.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.