Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 08 Dec 2023 08:09:09 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi nazia5805,
To transfer you Personal Allowance to the new job you will need to contact HMRC to review and update the code.
You can contact HMRC here:
Income Tax: general enquiries
Thank you, 
Posted Mon, 11 Dec 2023 11:33:14 GMT by HMRC Admin 32
Hi Sophie_569,

If you are effectively continuing employment at what was your main source of income until recently, we may not be able to change who is recognised as your main employer until the end of the tax year.

We may be able to allocate more of your tax free allowance to your new employer, though. You can contact our Income Tax team below and we can review your current codes.

Income Tax: general enquiries

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 15 Dec 2023 20:08:05 GMT by
Hi, I recently started a new full-time job in June 2023 and was employed in another job with a zero hour contract until September 2023 when I left, however during the time I was employed at both I had not worked a shift at my zero hour job since December 2022. Should this have changed the amount of tax I payed if I was only receiving one income although I was still employed at both?
Posted Thu, 21 Dec 2023 08:44:11 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Swat01,
Whether you paid the correct amount of tax depends on which of these employments you had your tax free allowances allocated to.
We can review this for you, update if necessary, and advise on any repayments due.
Please contact us by webchat or post here:
Income Tax: general enquiries
Thank you. 
Posted Fri, 05 Jan 2024 05:51:10 GMT by Glory Ojeigbo
Hi, I just started a second job. I want this job to be my main job and my personal allowance to be transferred to it. I want my initial job to be my second job as I will be working as a Bank staff and won't earn up to 1250. Please, How do I go about this ?
Posted Fri, 12 Jan 2024 10:22:20 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Glory Ojeigbo,
You would need to contact HMRC to transfer your Personal Allowance to your new job.
Contact details here:
Income Tax: general enquiries
Thank you. 
Posted Fri, 15 Mar 2024 20:40:38 GMT by Anastasiya Komarova
Hi there, I have a first job paying £39,140 gross annually, and this is my main job. However, I also have a second job that pays me £360 a week gross (£18,720 gross annually). I make around £57,860 gross annually. My tax code for last year on my main job was 823L, but it has now gone down to 277L. The tax code for my second job has always been BR. Why has my main job tax code changed so significantly, and what should my tax codes actually be? Many thanks
Posted Tue, 19 Mar 2024 11:31:26 GMT by TESSA MATHEW
Hi I am working with 2 different agencies but even with both the jobs still I ll be earning only less than personal allowance. What will be my tax? Should I still pay 20% for my second agency?
Posted Wed, 20 Mar 2024 17:51:31 GMT by Ovi
Hi I’m on skilled worker visa now. I got a job for extra 20hours. My first job salary is 28000/- And 2nd job salary will be £12 hourly. How much percentage tax I need to pay. Is HMRC to it automatically or do I have to inform them.
Posted Thu, 21 Mar 2024 12:51:23 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Anastasiya Komarova,
With the higher rate tax threshold being £50,000, some of the income at your second job will be liable for 20% tax, and some will be liable for 40% tax.
This can be tricky for the code used at a secondary employment to work out, so the tax due at 40% at your second job is actually collected through your first job.
This is done by reducing your tax free allowances, via an 'Adjustment to Rate Band'.
To confirm if the adjustment made to your primary code is correct, contact us by webchat or phone via Income Tax: general enquiries.
Thank you.
Posted Fri, 22 Mar 2024 15:20:18 GMT by HMRC Admin 5

If your income from both employers is below the personal allowance £12570 then we can update your record to split the personal allowance between both jobs.
If you have an online perosnal tax account you can update your income for each job online here
Personal tax account: sign in or set up to update your tax codes.
Alternatively you will need to contact HMRC to review/update your tax code Income Tax: general enquiries

Thank you
Posted Tue, 26 Mar 2024 13:55:38 GMT by Ryan Stephenson
Hi, I started a started a new Job in May-June 2023 and this was considered a second job as my previous role hadn't fully ended yet. So I was given the Tax code ending in T. For the rest of the year I only had one job, so around 10 months I was taxed for the two jobs rather than the one. This is reflected in my info on my account so I know HMRC are aware and have got the right information. I am expecting my tax code to change for this next financial year but was wondering if I have overpaid or underpaid tax due to the change? TIA
Posted Wed, 27 Mar 2024 10:09:40 GMT by Alan Webb
Ryan You might be overpaid, it rather depends where the T code was operated and how allowances were allocated between the two employers. It should come out in the was with the PAYE reconciliation that should be done by October, but you might want to check the figures sooner adding income from the two employments in the year together, taking off the personal allowance due (and any other relevant deductions), working out the tax and comparing that to total tax paid on the two employments. If you have other personal savings income (bank interest etc.,) don't forget to check whether any tax is due on that.
Posted Tue, 02 Apr 2024 12:59:33 GMT by HMRC Admin 8
Hi Ovi,
If you remain below the higher rate tax band with the combined income then you will be taxed at the basic rate for the second job if not based in Scotland.
You can check the rates at:
Income Tax rates and Personal Allowances
Thank you.
Posted Mon, 08 Apr 2024 08:13:02 GMT by HMRC Admin 5
Hi Ryan Stephenson

Once the tax year ends and HMRC receives your final pay and tax details we will review your record and if overpaid in tax a calculation will be issued to you with details of how to claim the refund. 

Thank you
Posted Tue, 28 May 2024 13:36:13 GMT by ROMEO VASILEV
l have a question regarding when you have already current job with tax code 1257L, the income is more than £12,570 then when you start a second job, you have to fill a form, that is a HMRC form starter check list, you have to tick the appropriate box, first box is statement A: Current personal allowance This is my first job since 6 April and since the 6 April I have not received payments from any of the following: • Jobseeker’s Allowance • Employment and Support Allowance • Incapacity Benefit Statement B: Current personal allowance on a Week 1/Month 1 basis Since 6 April I have had another job but I do not have a P45. And/or since the 6 April I have received payments from any of the following: • Jobseeker’s Allowance • Employment and Support Allowance • Incapacity Benefit Statement C: I have another job and/or I am in receipt of a State, workplace or private pension. the question is, how can l change the current tax code, for second job and new job to be 1257L what is the statement B ?
Posted Wed, 29 May 2024 13:45:43 GMT by Karen Walsh
I have 2 pt jobs, and I'm hoping for help as the new minimum wage has increased and I will be over the £12,570 threshold from both jobs. 1st job: 2 x days per week, 16hr contract. I only receive 15hrs paid at £11.44 p/h as I don't get paid for meal breaks. 2nd job: 2 x nights per week, 11hr contract. I only get 10hrs 15mins paid at £12.02 p/h as I don't get paid for meal breaks. I have roughly calculated that my gross income per annum for both jobs will be approx £15,250. In total hours paid between the 2 jobs is 25hrs 15mins. How do I find out which job gets taxed and when from? Also what about National Insurance, am I now eligible to pay that? Thanks
Posted Wed, 29 May 2024 15:08:10 GMT by pratishjain17
I recently started a full-time job and currently have a part-time job that I only work on weekends. My full-time job has been assigned a BR tax code. I would like to make my full-time job my primary employment and have my part-time job assigned the BR tax code instead. Could someone please advise on the steps I need to take to update my tax codes appropriately? Any guidance on how to inform HMRC and ensure my tax is calculated correctly would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Posted Tue, 04 Jun 2024 07:10:29 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi Romeo Vasilev,

As you already have a current job and are starting a second job, then you will need to sign statement C. Once the starter checklist is received, your tax code will be reviewed. Once the amended tax code is issued, if you want to review it you will need to contact our Income Tax tream.

Income Tax: general enquiries

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 04 Jun 2024 08:19:08 GMT by HMRC Admin 21
Hi Karen Walsh,
You can view your tax code online Personal tax account: sign in or set up or if you want to review you can contact HMRC Income Tax: general enquiries.
For National Insurance please contact National Insurance: general enquiries.
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.