Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 12 May 2022 10:21:32 GMT by
Hi there, I am due to start a new job in the next couple of months, the new job will become my main job and my current job will become my second job, because I will be earning over £12,750 per year I will pay tax. I understand that my main job will have the 1275L tax code and my second job will have the 'BR' tax code, will this just happen automatically when they receive information from my new main employer ? Thanks
Posted Thu, 12 May 2022 16:47:11 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
If we already have the employment that will become your 'second' job on record, this would currently be using your personal allowance.
If you contact our Income Tax department a week after your first pay from your new job, we would be able switch your tax allowance onto the new job.
Posted Mon, 01 Aug 2022 20:10:59 GMT by
Hello, my son has just turned 16. He delivers newspapers for a national retail chain and earns £10.50 a week (and a bit more if he does other rou ds). He has just started doing occasional shifts at the local, independent boat hire centre, and earns £40 a day. They have just paid for his first two shifts but deducted basic rate as he has two jobs. As he is now 16 both jobs pay him by BACS. Can you correct his tax code so he doesn't pay basic rate tax ?He won't earn anything remotely near £12k a year. Surely there is a pragmatic solution to this.Thanks
Posted Thu, 04 Aug 2022 12:10:16 GMT by HMRC Admin 24

We would be able to split his tax allowance between the jobs, this would need to be done with our Income Tax helpline.

Income Tax: general enquiries

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 17 Jan 2023 12:02:39 GMT by
Hi, I've just TUPEd into a new organisation and in doing so it has messed up my tax code on my second job which is very low paid, pushing it to the 40% rate when it was BR. Combined with my main job I am still under the 40% threshold so it is wrong, but I can't see how to correct this all on HMRC. I also should have WFH tax allowance due to the specifics of my main role but that's lost too. Is all so frustrating.
Posted Fri, 20 Jan 2023 12:36:34 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Rainbow Langdale-smith,

If you contact our helpline we will be able to ensure that your tax codes are updated correctly
Income Tax: general enquiries

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 06 Feb 2023 12:04:21 GMT by Courtz
Hi, I have an apprenticeship but at athe end of the year I will be earning over the tax amount I do have a second job however this is a 0 hour contract I'm managing my hours at the moment to stay below the tax amount. However when I earn above in my apprenticeship how will tax work with my second job as I'm not guaranteed any wage or how many hours I work. Thanks
Posted Fri, 10 Feb 2023 12:38:04 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

If you earn over the tax allowance at your main job, you would pay tax on all the income from the second job.

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 24 Mar 2023 10:47:54 GMT by
Hi My main job has the tax code t. I have a personal pension which has tax code L. Should it not be the other way round? I earn more in my main job. Thanks
Posted Tue, 28 Mar 2023 11:56:03 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Pensions are usually held as the main source of income on the record, if you have a Personal Tax Account

you can updated the estimated income for each source and this will ensure we allocate your allowances in the most beneficial way.

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 10 Apr 2023 16:07:39 GMT by
Hi , I work two jobs that both pay under £12,570 a year but put together pay around £15,000 a year , however because both jobs are under the amount to be taxed through PAYE I’ve not been paying tax at all , how do I sort this ?
Posted Mon, 10 Apr 2023 17:21:36 GMT by
Hi, My wife has been working part-time for a very small company the two of us own. She has been paid a small salary (under the personal allowance level). She has just (last Monday) started a new full-time job and we are concerned to know our best course of action in a few respects: 1. Should we now make her new full-time job her main job and transfer her tax free allowance to her new employer? If so, how do we do that? 2. It seems to us that it is simplest to stop paying my wife her salary from our company. This would have the effect of increasing our Corporation Tax (at 19%) but avoids adding to her income tax (at 20%). Does this make sense? 3. Now that the company is back in profit after the pandemic, we would normally allocate 50% of the dividends to my wife. How do we arrange for her to be properly taxed on that? 4. If the answer to 3 is complicated, does it make best sense to allocate 100% of the dividends to me (I work full time for our company), which would substally increase my income tax (still at 20%) but mean that my wife pays no Income Tax over and above the PAYE at her full time job? We would, of course, rely on our accountant for such advice but she is out of action in hospital. Many thanks for youre advice.
Posted Tue, 18 Apr 2023 12:21:51 GMT by HMRC Admin 32
  1. It is up to you what you cxonsider to be your main employment and if you wish to make the 2nd job he main one, you will need to contact us to have this updated.  
  2. Again this is a choice for you.  
  3. If the dividends are over £1000, you will need to notify HMRC. If they are over £10,000 these need to be declared in a Self Assessment Tax Return.   
  4. Again this is your choice. This all relates to financial advise which we are not authorised to give.
Thank you.
Posted Tue, 18 Apr 2023 12:32:03 GMT by HMRC Admin 8
Hi Maddieackers30,
If you sign up for the Personal Tax Account, you can update your estimated income from the jobs and we will be able to split your tax allowance accordingly between the jobs.
Posted Mon, 24 Apr 2023 15:08:54 GMT by
Hi, I now working a part time job alongside my full time job, and I am under the 1250L tax code. Will I need to change my tax code, if so, how should I change it? Thanks.
Posted Thu, 27 Apr 2023 15:37:12 GMT by
Hi, I'm a university student and I'm on my placement year. When I started my internship it was unpaid, but the university has now decided that they are going to pay us, and pay us retrospectively for the work we've already done. I also have a part-time job where I do not pay tax. I'm now being taxed on the BR tax code for my internship wages but with my placement only lasting 10 months I don't know if this is right because: a) I'm not sure which is considered my main or second job, and b) with the wages being paid retrospectively, I technically would have made enough to be taxed between my two jobs in the 22/23 tax year but won't make enough in the 23/24 tax year as the internship ends in June. With so many variables I'm completely confused on what tax I should be paying. Which job should I be being taxed on? Should I be paying tax at all? Does the tax year split make a difference or does it not matter because I'm only receiving the money now? Will HMRC be told that the payment is for past work and not a random lump sum? Please help :/ Thanks
Posted Thu, 27 Apr 2023 23:47:12 GMT by
I have been self employed for four years . One of the companies I have worked for has just switched to zero hours PAYE . My self employed work will earn me more money this tax year than the PAYE work which will be less than my tax allowance . Is it better to put all the tax allowance on my self employed work or to split it ? I get my first week PAYE this week . Thanks A
Posted Fri, 28 Apr 2023 12:45:52 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi Matt168
If you are using the full personal allowance against that job, it won't need to change.
If you are going to earn less than the full personal allowance on that job, we can split the allowance between the two jobs.
You can update the estimated earnings for each job through the Personal Tax Account and your code will be updated if required.
Posted Fri, 28 Apr 2023 15:08:12 GMT by
I have recently switched job from March 23. My April 23 salary slip from new employer has a tax code "D0/0" which is when a person has 2 jobs. I only have one job. How can I reach out to HMRC to change my tax code?
Posted Sat, 29 Apr 2023 09:49:08 GMT by CLM84
I have a third job and don't think I am paying enough tax. How can I let you know about this job? Thanks

You must be signed in to post in this forum.