Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 02 May 2023 10:38:24 GMT by
Hi I’ve recently started employment with a second job. Both my jobs are zero hour contract and I haven’t worked at my first job since December but have just received my accrued holiday pay from this employment over the past two weeks. I started my second job last week and have a few shifts booked over the next month. My income from both employments combined is below my tax free allowance would I still be taxed? If so can I transfer my personal tax allowance over to my second job as this will now be my main job and I won’t be picking up shifts for my first job but will still have an employment contract? Thanks
Posted Fri, 05 May 2023 05:51:13 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Chelsie,

 IncomeTax is calculated and charged when the Income is paid.
The Personal Allowance is used on a weekly or monthly basis depending on how often you are paid.
If you are earning more with the placement, you should have the allowance allocated against this.
We always review the position after the tax year has ended and if you pay too much tax you will receive a P800 calculation once we have reviewed it.
Please see this guidance here:
Tax codes
Thank you. 

Posted Fri, 05 May 2023 09:39:45 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Alison Hayes,

If you wish to keep all your tax allowance against the self-employed work, you can contact us after you have started to be paid and we can note your records that your tax allowance is not set against the employment.
Income Tax: general enquiries

Thank you. 
Posted Fri, 05 May 2023 10:45:44 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi akansha lakhera,

You will need to contact our helpline to update this:
Income Tax: general enquiries
Thank you. 
Posted Fri, 05 May 2023 12:50:43 GMT by HMRC Admin 5

If you have signed up for the Personal Tax Account, you can update the estimate of your earnings and if a new tax code is required one will be automatically issued.

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 10 May 2023 08:12:22 GMT by HMRC Admin 5
Hi MaryanneR98

You can split your tax allowance between the two jobs.

You can do this through the Personal Tax account and you can update the estimated earnings from each job and we can issue codes to split the allowance.

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 12 May 2023 18:12:39 GMT by
Hi ! I am thinking to second job part time, how much tax will have to pay on the second job, my first job is full time. And make more 12,750£
Posted Fri, 19 May 2023 12:35:33 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi Galin4o7 Zlatarev
Please see the 'Income Tax rates and bands' section :
Income Tax rates and Personal Allowances
Posted Mon, 22 May 2023 19:03:39 GMT by
Hi, My tax code for my current job is 1275L earning above 1275 per yr. I just wanna know if I’m allowed to work for another job for part time? If yes, how many hours am I allowed and what tax code will be for the second job? Thanks
Posted Mon, 22 May 2023 19:27:35 GMT by
Hi I have a main job earning approximately £11,000 a year. I am thinking to take a casual job at zero hours. 1) Do I need to register myself on "Self assessment" please? 2) My second job is zero hours, am I doing my tax each time I gain additional income from it or at the end of financial year please? 3) if I do "self assessment" online, will the system allow me to use any remaining personal tax allowance on my casual job please? Thanks for your help.
Posted Thu, 25 May 2023 10:46:12 GMT by HMRC Admin 32
Hi gelocabatay,

You can work as many jobs as you wish. Once you have been paid by the new job, you can decide if you want your full allowance set against one job or want to split it between them.

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 25 May 2023 10:48:37 GMT by HMRC Admin 32
Hi Zzzx Yyy,

You will need to register as Self-Employed if the earnings are more than £1,000 in a year. You complete the tax return after the year has ended. You declare all your income from the tax year and we will calculate if any additional tax is due.

Register for Self Assessment

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 22 Jun 2023 09:12:22 GMT by
Hi there, I have recently started two new jobs - one at 4 days/week and another at 1. The 4 day/week job has regular tax code of 1257L and the other is set to BR. Should my employer add my pay and tax to date for this FY on both of my payrolls? The result of doing that for the BR 1 day/week job is around a 40% tax rate, so doesn't seem right. If so, should my 1 day/week employer just leave the pay/tax to date blank, or use the Week 1/Month 1 coding? Thanks, Luke
Posted Wed, 28 Jun 2023 09:16:39 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi lrnbi,
They should be kept entirely separate.
If this is happening please contact our helpline as we will need to issue new tax codes
Income Tax: general enquiries
Thank you. 
Posted Thu, 06 Jul 2023 16:36:07 GMT by
Hi, I just started a second job. I want this job to be my main job and my personal allowance to be transferred to it. I want my initial job to be my second job. Please, How do I go about this ?
Posted Tue, 08 Aug 2023 12:21:45 GMT by
If an employee leaves their first or main job, that employer will give P45 does that needs to be updated by second employer? Or should wait for P6? Thank you!
Posted Fri, 11 Aug 2023 11:07:48 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi Sameer Mhamunkar
The employee should contact HMRC after receiving the P45.
Posted Sat, 12 Aug 2023 19:41:11 GMT by Mr Sha
Hi There is no statutory requirement to update the main employer about second job. So I am wondering that can the main employer finds out that you are working elsewhere despite your main job is under normal tax code? Does HMRC reveal this information to employer? Thanks
Posted Wed, 16 Aug 2023 12:27:29 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Mr Sha,

We wouldn't share information with the employer, we only send them a tax code for their employment.

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 07 Sep 2023 03:29:51 GMT by
Hey, in the tax year from April 22 - April 23, my first job I earned under the 12k tax free threshold. Does this mean my second job which is self employed, can have the remainder of that 12k as tax free?

You must be signed in to post in this forum.