Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 08 Sep 2023 19:52:10 GMT by
Hello, My tax free allowance is split between my main job and my second job. Is there a way that I can change how this is split? i.e. move a higher amount of tax free allowance to my main job and less on my second job? Thanks!
Posted Sun, 10 Sep 2023 07:17:39 GMT by Damian Goddard-Lane
I have full time employment for which my earnings just keep me under the higher rate tax bracket. I am looking to take on a part time job just earning a little extra cash, how would it work with tax, would I have to submit a self assessment for the secondary job? It is paid adhoc and not a salary, so there could be some weeks with some pay and others with none?
Posted Tue, 12 Sep 2023 09:18:54 GMT by HMRC Admin 32
Hi Jay,

That is correct.

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 18 Sep 2023 12:42:32 GMT by HMRC Admin 32
Hi MClay Clay,

If you contact our Income Tax team we can look into this.

Income Tax: general enquiries

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 18 Sep 2023 14:10:01 GMT by HMRC Admin 32
Hi Damian Goddard-Lane,

If its going to be on an employed basis you won't need to report this to HMRC. If it's on a Self-Employed basis you will only need to declare this if your earnings during the tax year from this are above £1,000.

Trading allowance

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 21 Sep 2023 00:59:48 GMT by
My current tax code is 125L. However I'm thinking of picking up a 2nd job. I'm wondering do I need to tell my current company to change my tax code? Basically I'm wondering how to pay appropriate tax, Does the system automatically change my tax code? both job have similar pay, Will I pay the same amount of tax on both?
Posted Sat, 23 Sep 2023 11:01:24 GMT by
I have a zero hour contracted job in which I do not earn over the personal allowance threshold. I am looking at getting 2 jobs however I am unsure if I will be taxed on having two jobs despite not earning over the personal allowance. would I get taxed if I had two jobs or would I need to earn over the personal allowance threshold to be required to pay tax? Any help would be apricated. Many thanks.
Posted Tue, 26 Sep 2023 10:00:18 GMT by
Hi, I work for NHS pastime 30 hrs and just started a weekend bank job in the same trust just for 6 hrs a week which accounts for 24hrs a month as my second job, but I got a message from HMRC stating that my tax code has changed from 1257L to 644L not sure why this has happened, does this mean my regular personal allowance has been halved? as the 2nd job tax code remains as BR which means its charged at 20% .. looks like I am losing my 50% of the Personal tax allowance. can some one help? thanks
Posted Fri, 29 Sep 2023 15:46:44 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi koldyme,

Your employer will advise us when you have commenced your second job within 35 days of starting.  
We will then review your tax codes.  
If you are using all your personal allowance of 12570 with your first job then your second job will have a tax code of BR (Basic Rate).  
If you are not using your full personal allowance at your first job then we can allocate some of your unused allowances to your second job.

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 02 Oct 2023 13:46:47 GMT by HMRC Admin 32
Hi Jarred,

If between the 2 jobs you earn below the personal allowance then the allowance can be split to cover the earnings in each job. Once you start the jobs if you contact HMRC we can review your tax code.

Income Tax: general enquiries

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 02 Oct 2023 14:36:52 GMT by
Hi, I have recently changed my workplace and this will be my second job. I was in the 1257L tax code in my previous job. However, in the recent payslip of my new job, I have been put into the 0T M code. Why did this happen and how can this be fixed?
Posted Tue, 03 Oct 2023 13:19:28 GMT by HMRC Admin 32
Hi Deepalatha,

If you use all your personal tax allowance at your main job then the 2nd job would normally be BR unless you are a higher rate taxpayer. You would need to contact HMRC to review the code.

Income Tax: general enquiries

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 12 Oct 2023 07:04:14 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Md Faiyaz Hussain Pranjol,

To review your tax code you will need to contact HMRC. Income Tax: general enquiries

Thank you.

Posted Fri, 10 Nov 2023 08:55:41 GMT by
Hi. My 16 year old daughter has a Saturday job. She earns under £10K per year. She did a 2nd job for 2 weeks in October and has been charged tax on a BR code. Will she get this back as with both jobs, she earns way under £10K the personal tax threshold. Or how do we go about quering it? The company she did the 2 weeks work for said we had to contact HMRC. thanks
Posted Mon, 20 Nov 2023 10:50:14 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

If she earns below the tax free allowance £12570 then she should not pay tax. She would need to contact our Income Tax team to review and issue correct code to refund any tax overpaid.

Income Tax: general enquiries 

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 29 Nov 2023 19:47:58 GMT by
Dear HMRC Department , I have 2 job ,I want to Swap my first job with my Second Job as my second job is my main job. Please help me with the infromation how i can Swap my job. waiting a reply.
Posted Wed, 29 Nov 2023 23:31:53 GMT by
Dear HRMC Team, Can i have a number where i can get help related to swapping my 2nd job with my 1st job. My first job is my main job but i have been deducted 20% from my first job. Thank you
Posted Fri, 01 Dec 2023 23:46:40 GMT by
Hi there, Kindly help me please. I have started a new job from September 2023. The new job is my main job and my old job is my second job depending on my income, because I am earning around £12,000 per year from my new job. Tax code 229T But my old job is 10hrs per week contract and Tax Code is 1027L From September I am having 229T Tax Code for new job and old job Tax Code didn’t change , continuing 1027L ## Are these Tax Codes all right for me? Do I need to change it? If these Codes are not right Codes according to pay then how to change these codes or where to contact please? ## If husband and wife both are tax payers then is there any exemption on their tax please? Thank you.
Posted Sun, 03 Dec 2023 11:38:35 GMT by
Hi I have finished my term time contracts at my job due to getting another job, however I am staying on a zero hour contract with my initial employer but will only be working very minimal hours that fit around my new job. My new job will now be my main income but how do I avoid paying emergency tax/too much tax on my new job. I have filled out a starter checklist online and it has generated a BA tax code but how do I ensure HMRC know my new job will now be my main job.
Posted Fri, 08 Dec 2023 07:50:13 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Tania Joarder,
To confirm if your codes are the correct allocation of allowances for your employments, we would need to review your individual tax record.
Please contact us via:
Income Tax: general enquiries
And we can update your codes as necessary.
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.