Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 06 Nov 2022 14:21:17 GMT by Dave Hunt
Dear all, My wife transferred the Marriage Allowance to myself. Normally my pay and company pension would make me a Higher Rate tax payer at 40% and I would not be eligible for the Marriage Allowance. However, in the last tax year I also paid into a SIP pension fund, and received relief on this, meaning that I dropped into the 20% tax bracket. This should mean I am eligible for the Marriage Tax Allowance, but HMRC are saying this is not the case. Any ideas? Thanks
Posted Tue, 08 Nov 2022 11:34:09 GMT by Dave Hunt
Who should I contact as two letters and phone calls meet with the same negative response? Thanks
Posted Thu, 10 Nov 2022 10:47:45 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

You should check with our Income Tax team if the figure for your pension contributions are included on our system for the year.

Income Tax: general enquiries

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 11 Nov 2022 09:00:28 GMT by Dave Hunt
Thanks for the reply. The figures for my pension contributions are included on the system. I have a tax calculation showing them and that I only paid 20% tax for the year. The tax office keep saying that I can’t have the Marriage Allowance because I was a higher rate payer at the time. This makes no sense to me as I have to wait until the end of the tax year to provide the private SIP pension contributions and bring the tax rate down to 20%. Is there someone higher in the organisation I can appeal to? Thanks
Posted Fri, 11 Nov 2022 12:00:46 GMT by HMRC Admin 32
Hi,

Please contact our helpline again. We can refer this to our Marriage Allowance team to review.

You can complain about HMRC here:

Complain about HMRC

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.