Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 08 Jan 2023 17:01:27 GMT by Martin Bell
For tax year 2021-2022 I mistakenly completed a self assessment return, even though I had had a letter from HMRC advising me to open a personal tax account. My self assessment return was submitted and I have paid too much tax, so have obtained a refund. However, later in 2022 I recieved a personal tax account summary which was wrong- did not have correct charitable giving, dividend income, interest income. So I phoned HMRC and pointed out the mistakes in my personal tax account and agreed with them to delete it for this year and to use my self assessment return. This has not happened! They have now sent me a cheque for a (incorrect) refund fom my personal tax account which I should not have, since I have already had a refund from my self assessment return. Attempts to contact HMRC are virtually impossible. The personal tax account system is unwieldy and does not enable you to correct mistakes they have made, such as tax unpaid (or not) for earlier years, charitable giving, dividend income, interest income, caital gains. Its awful, which is why I prefer to stick to the old system.
Posted Wed, 11 Jan 2023 14:43:06 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

If you have completed a Self Assessment Tax Return then this is the calculation that should be used and any calculation outside of that needs to be cancelled. Please contact our Income Tax department again.

Income Tax: general enquiries

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.