Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 11 May 2023 18:29:30 GMT by newspaper
Taxpayers should declare interest income from foreign bank accounts to HMRC. However, if the account is very old (before internet banking), and has not been used for many years, sometimes it is not possible to find out what the interest income is, or even the balance. This is because the bank does not allow you to apply for internet banking unless you have a local address and local ID card, and so on. That is, the bank account cannot be accessed at all. What should someone do in this case? Is it sufficient to just declare the account name and number to HMRC? Thank you.
Posted Thu, 18 May 2023 16:30:20 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi newspaper,
As you cannot access the account you have no means to obtain the funds. you would treat this as income you are unable to transfer.
Thank you. 

Posted Tue, 23 May 2023 14:27:36 GMT by Idontwanttospeak
Hi HMRC Admin25, My situation is similar to the user "newspaper". If I treat the unknown interest income as "income you are unable to transfer", do I need to report this income to HMRC? If yes, since the income amount is unknown, how can I report to the HMRC?
Posted Thu, 25 May 2023 11:39:34 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

If you cannot access it in any way then you would not need to report it. You should contact the bank in writing though if you still have the account number and sort code as they should still be able to inform you of any interest or advise you to to reset information to access it.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.