Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 26 Jan 2022 16:47:14 GMT by Ian Maclennan
Hi, I'm helping a friend with his tax affairs and the issue of pension contributions to foreign pension schemes has arisen. My friend is Japanese and contributes to the Japanese State Pension: HMRC documentation notes that pension contributions to authorised pension schemes can be deducted from taxable income, however there don't appear to be any authorised pension schemes in Japan, as far as I can tell. Can you please advise if contributions to the Japanese State Pension can be used to reduce taxable income or not? Thank you very much.
Posted Thu, 27 Jan 2022 11:28:50 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Ian Maclennan,

Please see further guidance here on potential relief into overseas pension funds

Claiming tax relief on your contributions to overseas pension schemes

Thank you

You must be signed in to post in this forum.