Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 25 Jan 2023 11:32:38 GMT by Sarah Price
Hi, I'm trying to fill in my tax return for child benefit purposes. I work as a Headteacher for a multi academy trust. When I fill the form in, the income and tax figures are already filled in by the system, presumably from the PAYE data. These figures match the figures I have here on my P60 for income and tax paid. When filling in the form for the child benefit charge, do I need to deduct pension contributions for the year as well? And if so where do I add this figure in the self assessment? As an example, say I'm earning £65,000 and my tax paid for the year is £14,000 I will also have pension contributions taken at source of circa £9,000 (Teacher pension). Do I need to deduct this £9,000 from the £65,000 to arrive at my ANI? Thanks
Posted Fri, 27 Jan 2023 13:09:38 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

If the £65,000 figure is on the P60 this would suggest the pension contributions were not deducted before tax and should be included on the tax return. When completing the tailor your return section, there is a question that asks about pension contributions. If you answer yes to this it will open the section later where you enter the contributions.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.