Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 22 Nov 2022 17:35:56 GMT by Joanne Towes
Hi, I left a job in August in a leap of faith for another. This hasn’t worked out for me so I am starting an apprenticeship as a change of career. I’m 21. Job 1 Paid me around £11k to August and was taxed PAYE. Tax code 1250l cumulative Job 2 Expecting to be around £3500 until leaving tax code 1250lx Job 3 expecting to be £3125 until end March. Tax code not known Job 1 have been repaying me tax each week (presumably because I earned below my threshold-still waiting on response-only just noticed) Job 2 have been taking tax and ni on PAYE. I understand I have to pay my tax but am worried about how it will affect a severely reduced wage. Am I going to have to pay the full tax over the last four months of the year? I’ve calculated (using calculator) roughly £1800 tax and NI bill of which I’m expecting job 2 to have taken around £350 of. So expecting a bill of £1450 to pay over 4 months. Am I on the right lines here? Do I have any way to correct this over a longer period? Thanks
Posted Thu, 24 Nov 2022 14:37:02 GMT by HMRC Admin 32
Hi,

If you have left job one, we would be expecting them to close the record rather than continue to make tax refunds.

If you contact our Income Tax team, we can review the tax codes to ensure you are being taxed correctly.

Income Tax: general enquiries

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.