Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 14 Mar 2023 14:39:43 GMT by CarolM McKenzie
I am already claiming my State Pension; can you please advise which Department along with their correct telephone number I need to contact for some advice on buying back missing NI contributions,
Posted Tue, 14 Mar 2023 16:23:45 GMT by HMRC Admin 2
Hi Harry Singh,

We are experiencing high volumes of calls and payments at the moment. Our usual time scale for allocating payments is 6 weeks.

We have updated the recorded message to 8 weeks, but there may be a delay if you have not used a correct payment method.

If you are concerned or if your payment has cleared your bank account and more than 8 weeks have passed, you can contact the National Insurance team to check your payment has been allocated correctly.

National Insurance: general enquiries

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 17 Mar 2023 13:19:03 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi philhan,

If this is for voluntary class 3 then as long as you have spoken to HMRC, and they have given you that year, and DWP have confirmed that you will benefit from paying that year, and you pay the exact amount required (and no other year requires the same amount), then the payment will automatically be allocated to that tax year.
If this is in regards to class 2, then you may need to contact us to ensure the payment goes to the correct year.

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 17 Mar 2023 13:48:20 GMT by VikkiE
WarningThis post is currently being moderated and will be visible when it has been approved by a HMRC moderator.
Posted Fri, 17 Mar 2023 14:40:07 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi CarolM McKenzie,

The department you need to contact is the Department of Work and Pensions, Pension Service.
Their contact number is 0800 731 0469.
Lines are open between 8am and 6pm Monday to Friday.

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 20 Mar 2023 21:12:27 GMT by Michael Tam
Hello, I made my voluntary class 3 NIC on 26 Jan 2023 from HMRC Online payment site with the 18 digit reference number and received the email confirmed the payment £431.20 have sent to HMRC under payment reference ending with 10269. It is more than 7 weeks since the payment and when can I expect to get this updated in my tax record. Thank you .
Posted Thu, 23 Mar 2023 10:14:12 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi VikkiE,

Due to the nature of your enquiry you will need to write in to us.  
Please provide the following information:  
Full name and Address and National Insurance Number 
Full payment details, including the bank account details paid from and the HMRC account you made your payment to.
The date the payment cleared from your bank account, the amount paid and tax years the payment is for.
Our Individuals Caseworkers will then investigate this matter for you.
Our address is 
PT Operations 

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 23 Mar 2023 14:25:32 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Michael Tam,

Thank you for your enquiry. 

We do advise it can take up to 8 weeks for your payment to be reflected on your Personal Tax Account.

If you are still unable to see this, it would be advisable to speak to the National Insurance Helpline on 0300 200 3500 so that we can look into this for you. 

Thank you. 

Posted Thu, 23 Mar 2023 15:01:40 GMT by Alexandros Veskos
I do have the 18 digit code, I tried to pay online my gap years however money from my bank account are still there, HMRC haven't got my money and I never received a confirmation email. Should I try to re-pay online? Do anyone know how it works? I call HMRC without success
Posted Wed, 05 Apr 2023 12:53:12 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Alexandros,

Please contact Technical support with HMRC online services, have your 18 digit reference handy so the adviser can check " Barclaycard smartpay" for a successful payment (or not).

Technical support with HMRC online services

Thank you. 


You must be signed in to post in this forum.