Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 18 Jan 2022 19:35:38 GMT by Lou H
Hi if my HMRC account says cheque posted on 06/01/22 how long should I wait before chasing it up? How long does it usually take to arrive from when the status is changed to posted? Thanks
Posted Wed, 19 Jan 2022 10:42:32 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi,

Allow up to 3 weeks if we are sending to a UK address.

Thank you.
Posted Sat, 05 Feb 2022 13:48:05 GMT by Lou H
Hi there, Still no cheque received. On the 30/01 it changed from posted to processed on my tax account. I called and was told posted doesn’t mean it’s been posted, processed means it’s been posted, and it should be here this week but it still isn’t. How much longer should I wait before chasing up? Feel like I’m just being fobbed off every time I call to be honest. It’s a cheque for a 5 figure sum will the amount affect how long it takes? Thanks
Posted Tue, 08 Feb 2022 08:49:11 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

If we have issued a cheque it can take up to 3 weeks to be received, however it is normally received in less than that. 

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 22 Feb 2022 14:16:42 GMT by Lou H
Hi Cheque was finally received however was for a tiny amount. We have now been told refunds for different tax years are processed separately and refunded with separate cheques. The agents words exactly were “it’s stupid and a waste of time if you ask me but I just answer the phones” Can’t get any update from them at all just that they’ve been processed and will arrive when they arrive. So my next question is long should I expect to wait between cheques if all 3 have been processed but only one received? Literally getting desperate now with 5 children including a 10 week old baby, and my partner unable to work due to being diagnosed with cancer we need this money to get by. It was taken in error as a tax underpayment from our savings by HMRC 12 weeks ago and when they realised their mistake we were apologised to and assured the money would be refunded within 4-8 weeks yet here we are still waiting. Thanks
Posted Wed, 23 Feb 2022 10:33:24 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi,

When a refund has been processed and the cheque released, it normally takes 3 weeks maximum to reach a UK address.

If we do calculations for refunds at the same time, it is normally one cheque.

I would query with the helpline exactly how many have been issued:

Income Tax: general enquiries   .

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 04 Mar 2022 17:38:50 GMT by Lou H
Hi Now being told nobody knows what’s going on, so the refund obviously hasn’t been processed. Was promised a call back over a week ago but still nothing. Tried calling again (we have a direct line for someone who is supposed to be looking into this) left a message but still no response. This is causing real severe undue hardship what do you suggest we do next as nobody seems to be able to help. We made a written complaint 12 weeks ago and haven’t even received an acknowledgement never mind a response. 13 weeks since HMRC cleared our savings in error and we are close to losing everything since my partners cancer means he can not work. Do I need to get my local MP and the papers involved? Or is there a department we can contact above income tax who can help? Thanks
Posted Mon, 07 Mar 2022 12:37:39 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi,

If the query hasn't been solved, you may wish to go through our Complaints process for an online submission or over the telephone,
I can't see exactly what has happened as we can't access your record from this forum.

See link:

Complain about HMRC  .

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 08 Mar 2022 17:49:33 GMT by Lou H
Hi We’ve complained by post, we’ve complained over the phone and even been to the tax office and made a statement in person, almost 14 weeks now since our money has been taken and still not returned. I’ve referred it to my local MP and one of his caseworkers has asked for details so I will see if they can get some answers for me. Thanks

You must be signed in to post in this forum.