Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 11 Nov 2022 11:59:52 GMT by YY WONG
Refer to below, Is it true that I report the "interest" after minus the commission fee? If not, how do I declare the commission fee during reporting the tax? I bought a US Treasury Bill using a broker account and paid a commission fee. I waited for this bill matured. (Understand the related income will be treated as interest instead of capital gain, thanks for your reply from the below thread in the forum under capital gain).
Posted Tue, 15 Nov 2022 12:49:13 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

You can find guidance here:

Tax when you sell shares

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 15 Nov 2022 18:38:26 GMT by YY WONG
Thanks for your reply, the link in your reply is about "sell shares", while my above case is without selling: buying US Treasury bill with a commission paid, and then wait for maturity (without "selling") and get back the money. (Understand from the HMRC Community Forum that the related income will be treated as interest instead of capital gain) Please advise whether the commission shall be deducted before declaring the "income" in this case.
Posted Fri, 18 Nov 2022 14:14:27 GMT by

You can take a look at the Capital Gains Manual - CG15160 which advises categories of expenditure, including acquiring the asset and incidental costs of acquisition and disposal.

CG15160 - Expenditure: categories of allowable expenditure

Thank you. 


You must be signed in to post in this forum.