Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 09 Nov 2022 21:48:42 GMT by Lisa Gould
I received a letter from HMRC telling me that I had to pay the HICBC for tax year 21-22, but noticed that the NI number on the letter is incorrect. Should I go ahead and do the self assessment registration and pay the charge, or should I clear up the NI number issue before doing that?
Posted Mon, 14 Nov 2022 10:37:04 GMT by Michelle Williams
I had exactly this. The same letter addressed to me but with a different NI No. I spoke to HMRC this morning and gave them the details on the letter, which they are going to investigate, as this is clearly an admin error.
Posted Mon, 14 Nov 2022 15:00:00 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Lisa Gould
Please contact us so that we can ensure that the charge is for you and that there was just an error when entering the NI number. 

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 14 Nov 2022 20:11:01 GMT by Lisa Gould
Thanks both, the NI number was incorrect and belonged to someone else, but the requirement to pay the charge was correct for my situation.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.