Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 14 Dec 2020 20:55:37 GMT by Toadoftoadhall
Paid a voluntary contribution for N I in november, but its not showing on my NI history. How long does it take before it is amended to full year for pension.
Posted Wed, 16 Dec 2020 15:42:27 GMT by HMRC Admin 5
Hello.

If you wish to pay or discuss the NI payment, please contact our NI department on 0300 200 3500.

Thank You.
Posted Sat, 19 Jun 2021 13:56:43 GMT by DAVE ODOHERTY
I paid for 3 years voluntary class 3 NI contributions on the 6th April 2021 after 11 weeks these are still not showing on my NI history, I have also paid for a voluntary class 3 NI contribution on the 20th May 2021 as part of my 2020-21 self assessment tax payment . I am coming up to retirement age in November this year and will be receiving a DWP request to claim my pension in August, 4 months prior to retirement, I therefore need my NI record to be updated before then to ensure that I receive the correct pension amount. How long does it take before these show on my record.
Posted Fri, 25 Jun 2021 08:01:50 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi DAVE ODOHERTY,

The allocation of your payment is not automatic and needs to be actioned manually.

The current timescales for the department who deals with this is currently 29 weeks. It may be allocated sooner than this, but please be assured the payment will be allocated in due course.

However, Class 3 cannot be paid via self assessment, I would assume this is a class 2 payment.

For this payment to be looked at before November I would advise that you contact our NI Helpline who can check your account and see if it is possible to make sure this payment is allocated sooner for you. 

Thank you.

Posted Fri, 09 Jul 2021 07:40:34 GMT by peter nicholson
I made a payment on March 22nd class 3 N.I.voluntary contributions from abroad and this is also still not showing as paid on my personal tax account.It's unbelievable and very stressful that it might be as long as 29 weeks to update the record.
Posted Sat, 10 Jul 2021 00:10:13 GMT by Tassie_Devil
I paid a year's class 2 contributions back in October. This week, 8 months later, when it still wasn't showing up, I called the helpline only to discover that my payment had been received and randomly allocated to a pre-2016 year, which as I already had 30 full years prior to 2016, didn't produce an uplift in my final amount. I had to request that this payment be reallocated to 2020-21 which is what I wanted initially. I was told that this reallocation may take up to 8 weeks to occur. If you're still waiting, it would be worth checking this hasn't happened to you.
Posted Sat, 10 Jul 2021 20:58:51 GMT by DAVE ODOHERTY
I have contacted your NI Helpline on 0300 200 3500 already on three occasions, The first on June 7th when your agent put in a request to add the voluntary class 2 contributions and also requested that the self assessment team transfer the voluntary class 3 payment made on my 2020/21 self assessment return early in light of my impending retirement date. I checked again on June 21st still not done, your agent put the requests in again and told me to check in two weeks. I checked again on the 6th of July, still not done, this time your agent manually added my 3 years voluntary class 2 contributions, he said that he could do nothing about the class 3 payment other than request the transfer as had been done. He put me through to the self assessment team where the agent told me she new nothing about NI as she was tax. I went back to the helpline again same result, going round in circles, right hand does not appear to know what the lest hand is doing. On the positive side my Class 2 years are now showing I just need to sort the class 3 before the pensions department ask for my proffered pension option at the beginning of August..
Posted Mon, 12 Jul 2021 10:26:25 GMT by peter nicholson
Just checked today and my payment has been credited.I wonder if posting here expedited this?On a serious note guys in my position are trying to do the right thing in boosting their pensions and are being met by unacceptably long delays causing stress and worry even to the point of making them reluctant to make further payments.Added to this is the high cost of phoning from abroad..This situation needs to be sorted out ASAP.
Posted Mon, 12 Jul 2021 11:31:27 GMT by DAVE ODOHERTY
Just checked my record, still missing the class 3 contribution that needs to be manually transferred from the Self Assessment department to the NI contribution department, can't be that difficult or time consuming to press a few keys to allocate the payment. When I receive the pension choices letter in August, how can I determine the best option continue working, defer pension or take pension when I do not know what the pension will be?
Posted Wed, 14 Jul 2021 03:59:57 GMT by peter nicholson
Is it possible to make further class 3 voluntary N.L contributions after receiving my state pension in April 2022?
Posted Fri, 23 Jul 2021 12:28:37 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi peter nicholson,

Class 3 NIC cannot be paid for any week in which a person is over SPA or, for any week in the tax year that they reach SPA .

You should contact DWP to obtain a Pension Statement and discuss the implications on benefit entitlement.

Telephone: 0800 731 0175

Telephone from outside the UK: +44 (0)191 218 3600

Thank you.

Posted Fri, 23 Jul 2021 13:27:11 GMT by peter nicholson
Thank you. My question now is given that I reach SPA shortly after the start of the tax year in April 2022 and have been paying yearly Class 3 NIC's in arrears will I be able to pay for the tax year 2021-22 in advance (I believe the amount is 800.80)?As I live in Thailand my pension is frozen at SPA and I wont receive a notice to pay Class 3 NIC's if previous years are any guide until after I start to receive my pension.Would a payment made after my birthday be pointless as my pension is frozen?I spoke to one of your agents by phone at NI general inquiries and he was unable to give a definitive answer and suggested waiting until near the end of the tax year and phoning again.Obviously I would like to know what my options are earlier than that if possible.
Posted Mon, 26 Jul 2021 15:12:47 GMT by HMRC Admin 2
Hi,

Sorry, we can only answer HMRC questions on this forum.

Please contact the DWP for advice.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.