Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 25 Jun 2021 10:00:15 GMT by aw1961
Hi. I cashed in a small pension pot on 15/12/20. I was taxed at mth1 rate (£2621.40) as expected. As I had no other income for the tax year 20/21, I understand that I can reclaim the overpayment of tax. My question is will HMRC refund this automatically or do I have to apply for the rebate myself? Thanks.
Posted Mon, 12 Jul 2021 12:09:28 GMT by aw1961
Does nobody know the answer to this?
Posted Tue, 13 Jul 2021 09:52:37 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

If you are under PAYE we automatically do a tax calculation at the end of the year when we have all the information.

If you are overpaid or underpaid you will receive a letter from us.

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 15 Jul 2021 09:25:50 GMT by aw1961
I was employed up until 10 years ago, when I took early retirement. I have not worked since and therefore assume I am not in any PAYE system. As I stated in my original post, I have no income except from savings (which is much lower than my personal allowance). I am sorry if I did not make myself clear in my earlier post, but my question remains - will HMRC refund this automatically or do I have to apply for a rebate myself?
Posted Fri, 16 Jul 2021 11:01:23 GMT by HMRC Admin 9

HMRC still do a calculation at the end of the tax year based on the information we receive.

If any refund is due we will send out a P800 tax calculation.

Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.