Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 30 Nov 2022 10:42:19 GMT by wall
I was told by my UK pension provider that I contributed more than £40K during the tax year 2021-2022 and I have to report this excess on the tax return and I am liable to pay tax for the excess. However, before I started my employment with my current UK employer in April, 2021, I worked in Hong Kong and I contributed to its pension scheme throughout my employment. So my question is how can I find out if my Hong Kong pension scheme is a recognized overseas scheme by HMRC? Do I qualify for the annual allowance for previous tax years prior to 2021-22, so I can carry forward the unused allowance to the tax year 2021-22 to cover my excess? I paid UK income tax for tax year 2020-21. Is there any HMRC hotline I can call to understand my tax position for this transition period? I was transferred to different departments. None of them could provide me an answer. Very frustrating. Thanks in advance.
Posted Fri, 02 Dec 2022 13:50:55 GMT by HMRC Admin 2

You can find guidance here:

HS345 Pension savings — tax charges (2022)

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 02 Dec 2022 14:43:07 GMT by wall
I read the guidance a couple of times, but it doesn't answer my questions. It says You do need to have been a member of a registered pension scheme during each of the carry forward years. I wanted to know if my pension provider in HK are a recognized UK pension scheme. Is there any way I can find this out?
Posted Wed, 14 Dec 2022 11:03:32 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

You can see a list of all recognised overseas pension providers here:                                                                                 

Check the recognised overseas pension schemes notification list

Thank you.                                                              

You must be signed in to post in this forum.