Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 17 May 2023 11:08:53 GMT by
It is only allowed to put money into one Stocks and Shares ISA per tax year. I do have an existing flexible Stocks and Shares ISA (with provider A) and have already deposited cash into it this tax year. The cash was, however, never invested - I only deposited it there to invest it at a later point of time and the cash earned some interest during that time - and I subsequently withdrew the cash again when I discovered a better Stocks and Shares ISA provider (e.g. provider B). Since it is a flexible Stocks and Shares ISA, my personal allowance (displayed on provider A's website) went back up again to the original 20'000. Nevertheless, I now wonder whether I am still allowed to open up the new Stocks and Shares ISA with provider B and put money into it? I still have the full ISA allowance and the money was never invested (as it is the purpose of a Stocks and Shares ISA) but the temporary deposit (that earned some interest) could perhaps still "technically" count as having put money into an existing Stocks and Shares ISA this tax year? Thank you for the clarification.
Posted Tue, 23 May 2023 15:55:00 GMT by HMRC Admin 5
Hi,

Please refer to guidance here - 

Individual Savings Accounts (ISAs)

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 25 May 2023 10:13:00 GMT by
Hi, Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, I cannot find the answer to my question, whether deposited but never invested (and later withdrawn) money in a flexible Stocks and Shares ISA account does count as having used that ISA account it in the guidance. Could you help me with it? Thank you!
Posted Fri, 26 May 2023 11:39:00 GMT by HMRC Admin 8
Hi,
There are 4 different types of ISA and the maximum that can be deposited in a tax year is £20000 in total.  
Money deposited in a stocks and shares ISA counts toward the £20000.00 limit, even if the money is not invested.
Thank you
Posted Fri, 26 May 2023 11:45:15 GMT by
Hi, Thank you. And that is also true for a flexible Stocks and Shares ISA (which is specifially designed to allow withdrawals, i.e. "undo" deposits)? Best regards
Posted Fri, 26 May 2023 17:00:10 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi
Yes.
It applies to all the types of ISA.
Thankyou.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.