Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 02 Nov 2022 21:17:55 GMT by Kirill
Hi. I'd really appreciate if you could help me with answering to my question with providing the links to the laws or other official documents which confirm the answer. My wife with my daughter came to UK by the programme Homes for Ukraine. They got BRPs for 3 years and spent more than 183 days in UK so they are UK residents now as I understand. They came with some savings which they put on a bank account and I'm also sending them money for covering living costs which I earn in Ukraine. My wife haven't succeeded in finding the job yet so she doesn't have any incomes as UK resident employee. I'm not UK resident as I've never been to UK and haven't got any BRP for UK. 1. Does my wife need to report about the money she's getting from me for covering living costs? 2. Does she has to pay any taxes for these money? I've found the following rule: There’s no Inheritance Tax to pay on gifts between spouses or civil partners. You can give them as much as you like during your lifetime, as long as they: live in the UK permanently are legally married or in a civil partnership with you But I couldn't find any information about what if one of the partners is not UK resident at the moment of sending money. Thank you in advance for your reply.
Posted Tue, 08 Nov 2022 11:59:23 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

The transfer or gift of money from overseas to an individual in the UK has no Income Tax consequences, unless the funds are deposited in a UK bank account and generate interest or dividends, which may be taxable.

Tax on savings and investments: detailed information

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.