Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 05 Apr 2023 07:23:26 GMT by leomav
Kind reminder, any help with the below? I would like to apply for a letter of confirmation of residence for tax purposes to submit in my country of origin. Can you advise how I can apply? I have already created account in the gov gateway but I am not given the option to submit an application. Can you tell how I can apply? Thank you
Posted Thu, 13 Apr 2023 10:42:14 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

You can see guidance here:

How to apply for a certificate of residence to claim tax relief abroad

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 14 Apr 2023 16:54:42 GMT by PaulvI
Hi. I need some help please. Having recently relocated from the UK to Portugal, the Portuguese tax authorities are asking me for a UK “Letter of confirmation of Residence” to confirm that I was a UK tax resident during the last 5 years. To avoid confusion, I do NOT require a “Certificate of Residence”, which is apparently a different document. How can apply for such a “Letter of Confirmation of Residence”, as both email application form and gateway application form only refer to “Certificate of Residence” applications. Any assistance would be grately appreciated, thank you.
Posted Wed, 19 Apr 2023 16:17:37 GMT by HMRC Admin 18

Please see guidance at:

How to apply for a certificate of residence to claim tax relief abroad

If you do not have any foreign income, it will be a Letter of Confirmation that will be issued to you.

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 12 May 2023 09:07:02 GMT by PaulvI
Hello, Following up on my post of 28 days ago, I completed the "Certificate of Residence" form via the HMRC gateway. On the same day I received a an acknowledgment email from HMRC with a reference number stating that I will receive a response within 15 days. It has almost been 3 weeks now and I still have not received a response. Could you please advise what I need to do to progress my request? Many thanks
Posted Thu, 18 May 2023 17:12:14 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
You should expect to receive a reply by 1/6/23.
Posted Fri, 19 May 2023 14:30:05 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Kekko1991 Antropoli,

If you submitted a request, using the online service, then it should take around 14 days.  
If you emailed a form, then it will take much longer, perhaps a few months.  
You can progress chase your request by calling the Self Assessment helpline number:  from overseas, dial +44 161 931 9070 (Open Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm.  Closed on weekends and bank holidays).

Self Assessment: general enquiries

Thank you. 

Posted Fri, 19 May 2023 14:52:46 GMT by Babajide Olayinka
Hello I am British National who works and live in the Uk. My wife and kid who are spanish have recently moved to live in spain. I still continue to live and work in the Uk and only visit spain. According to Spanish Law I am considered a tax resident even if I spend less than 183days a yr in Spain because they both live in Spain, unless I have a certificate of residency as advised. Considering I also don't have any foreign income, as I have seen in HMRC's previous responses, a letter of confirmation of residency is all that would be issued. Would this be sufficient enough to prove to the tax authorities my tax residency status in the Uk? Am I at this point also considered a dual resident and do I have to wait to be contacted by the authorities before I can apply for the certificate or letter of confirmation? Please can you advise as appropriate Many Thanks
Posted Mon, 22 May 2023 16:24:48 GMT by PaulvI
Hi there, What should be a very straight forward process is turning out to be frustrating. Since my last post, I have called the HMRC number provided in this forum. After 50 min of waiting, I finally managed to speak to a HMRC person who told me that my request of over 4 weeks ago had been received, but placed in the wrong queue. She assured me that she would put the request in the correct queue, and that it should be processed the same day. That was 2 weeks ago. I never received my letter. A week ago, I call HMRC again. After being put through to 3 different people (25 minute wait each time), I was finally put though to person who promised to deal with my letter whilst I was in the phone. She confirmed the info provided with the Self Assessment department and confirmed again that she was able to write my letter whilst I was in the phone. 5 minutes later, she informed me that she had completed the letter and that it would be sent by post. That was a week ago and I still have not received anything!!! So my question is the following: how long does it take for a letter that has been completed to actually be sent out via post? Do completed letters have to go through a lengthy process of being signed and stamped? Or did this lady simply pretend that she was doing the letter just to get me off the phone? How can I progress this VERY SIMPLE request, rather than just been messed around?
Posted Wed, 24 May 2023 14:45:24 GMT by HMRC Admin 5
Hi Babajide Olayinka,

The letter of confirmation will be sufficient for you and you can apply for this at any time.

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 25 May 2023 10:45:10 GMT by HMRC Admin 32
Hi PaulvI,

Our post is sent by 2nd class and you should allow 7 working days for it to be received if you live in the UK. If you live outside the UK, you would need to allow 21 days.

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 09 Jun 2023 13:39:49 GMT by Alina Allana
How can I obtain a letter to confirm company residency for the previous years? Thank you
Posted Sat, 10 Jun 2023 06:08:16 GMT by Babajide Olayinka
Hi I recently applied for letter of residency. I assumed the period would cover the present tax year but i have just realised the period has been dated from the issue date. How can i get HMRC to reissue the letter to reflect covering a past period? Thanks
Posted Tue, 13 Jun 2023 15:04:25 GMT by HMRC Admin 32
Hi Alina,

Please refer to:

How to apply for a certificate of residence to claim tax relief abroad

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 14 Jun 2023 10:46:10 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Babajide Olayinka,
You will need to specify the dates you want the certificate to cover.
You will therefore need to reapply:
How to apply for a certificate of residence to claim tax relief abroad


You must be signed in to post in this forum.