Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 07 Jun 2023 21:15:32 GMT by Amitia Wood
Thanks Admin 8, Could you please confirm that this quote is correct?: " As a National of UK, and as a National and a Resident of Spain, you can have this government pension taxed in Spain". Thank you very much. Kind regards.
Posted Mon, 24 Jul 2023 20:45:30 GMT by
I am in receipt of a UK civil service pension. I am thinking of moving to and living in the Republic of Ireland. I appreciate that UK government pensions are always taxed in the UK. If I later take dual nationality will my UK civil service pension continue to be taxed in the UK?
Posted Tue, 01 Aug 2023 14:29:13 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

If you obtain Irish Nationality at a later date, you can apply for the pensin to be paid tax free in the UK. You would need to provide evidence of the change of your nationality.

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 14 Sep 2023 03:22:01 GMT by
Hi I live in Australia and have a small pension and lump sum from my DTI days. I am now retired and I have Australian superannuation, ie, not a pension, a lump sum accrued amount. The application form asks if I have any registered pensions. I am not sure if I am expected to provide details of my Australian fund as it would not be registered. I assume tax will be applied in the UK in any event.
Posted Thu, 21 Sep 2023 13:59:43 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Richard,

If you are referring to completion of form DT-Individual, you do not have to provide details of any Australian pensions.
We only require details of your UK pension(s).

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 10 Jan 2024 12:34:31 GMT by
The quote seems to suggest that as a UK national and resident of Spain, your government pension can be taxed in Spain. Taxation on pensions can be influenced by various factors, including tax treaties between countries, your residency status, and the specific laws of each country involved.
Posted Wed, 10 Jan 2024 12:36:48 GMT by
As a Spanish tax resident with dual nationality (Spanish and British), where your UK Government pension is taxed depends on tax treaties and specific circumstances. Consult with a tax advisor for personalized advice.
Posted Mon, 15 Jan 2024 13:27:39 GMT by
I am a UK citizen with an EU passport and receive a NHS pension. If I become tax-resident in Greece, is my NHS pension still taxed at source in UK, or would I receive it tax free in the UK and then pay tax on it in Greece? Thanks
Posted Wed, 17 Jan 2024 14:50:38 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi
Your NHS pension, could be classed as a government pension, depending on who pays the pension.  A National Heath Service pension - paid by a Local Authority, is classed as governent and would be taxable in the UK, unless you were a Greek national.  As a UK national, you  would remain taxable in the UK on this pension.  National Health Service pensions - paid by NHSBSA, CAPITA, the Paymaster Generals Office or Scottish Public Pensions Agency (SPPA) are classed as non government and would be taxable in Greece.
Posted Fri, 19 Jan 2024 09:08:53 GMT by
Thank you very much.
Posted Tue, 26 Mar 2024 10:11:49 GMT by mattk kiki
Hello I am a British national living in Thailand on my uk armed forces pension. There is a bit of hysteria here just now as the tax laws have been updated from 1 Jan 24 Released on September 15, 2023, Revenue Order 161/2023 dictates that starting from January 1, 2024, any foreign income, regardless of its source (be it from employment, business, pension, or overseas assets), will be subject to taxation in Thailand upon its entry into the country, regardless of the year in which it was initially brought in. “Assessable income” means income that is taxable under this Chapter. Such income also includes a property or any other benefit received which may be computed into a monetary value, any amount of tax paid by the payer of income or by any other person on behalf of a taxpayer and tax credit under Section 47 Bis. My pension is quite near the minimum for tax but still as i see it subject to uk rules but i have no idea what this new rule means and whether my pension is considered assessable income in Thailand which to my understanding also has a double tax agreement with the UK

You must be signed in to post in this forum.