Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 25 Jan 2023 12:29:32 GMT by david leff
I have a client that in India received a gain on an indian life policy following the death of her husband : both wife and husband are based in Uk permanent and are tax resident in the UK Th Indian tax authoroties have with held 31.20% indian tax on the gain on the policy UK have taxing rights over this gain and as suchon the tax return will only allow a notional 20% tax deduction . The wife (my client) is a 40% tax payer : how can she recover this tax paid in India when UK tax reurn will not allow a deduction for the full foriegn tax credit @ 31.20% ?
Posted Fri, 27 Jan 2023 13:27:37 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

You can see guidance here:

Tax on foreign income

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.