Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 28 Jun 2021 11:31:49 GMT by Elizabeth Lawton
Hey! My husband has been providing once a week tutoring to a friend's son, he is paid weekly for this. It is less than £1000 a year so i understand he does not need to declare this on top of his usual employed income as it fulls under the trading allowance. However, the money he receives from the parent is actually paid in to my bank account- so does that mean it's actually my Trading Allowance that's being used up? He would like to start tutoring another student you see, but he doesn't want to start having to fill in self assessment forms every year. If he tutors someone else, and so long as the new parent pays in to his bank account and it stays under £1000 a year (tax year I know) then we are good? Thanks for any answers!
Posted Tue, 29 Jun 2021 08:30:18 GMT by HMRC Admin 9

It won't matter that the money is not paid into his account.

He will keep a record of payments and if his income goes over the trading allowance he will need to register for Self Assessment and report each year.

Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.