Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 29 Jan 2024 23:30:24 GMT by
Hello, I am in a similar situaion as well and it's too nuiansed to find specific information on. I have a settled status, live permanently in Poland and visit the UK almost every year for a week/month. I'd like to go back to working as a freelance stage manager during my visits while sill living most of the time in Poland. Am I able to do so? If so, should I reregiser as self employed (I'd most likely earn under 1000 pounds)? Should I do my tax return in the uk or just Poland? Will I lose my setled status after 5 years if I continue my visits and should I keep records of them or let someone know about them? It is very confusing and I'm unsure what should I tell my potential employers/clients. Thanks in advance for any pointers. AJ
Posted Wed, 31 Jan 2024 10:21:54 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi tbproperty1 burton,

As the work is not actually carried out in the UK this is not UK income. As you are not a UK resident there is no requirement to file a return.

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 01 Feb 2024 12:13:51 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi christinedaae,
If you are not resident in the UK then you can include your self employed income from the UK in your accounts submitted in Poland as they will have sole taxing rights on your worldwide income as your country of residence.
With regard to your settled status.
Please see Apply to the Apply to the EU Settlement Scheme (settled and pre-settled status)
And contact the EU Settlement Scheme for further information. 
Thank you. 

Posted Mon, 25 Mar 2024 21:56:39 GMT by 2d2marcin
Hello, I am Mexican citizen currently living in UK and I have settled status. I am full time employed but in June will be moving out of UK to Poland. My employer is willing to let me carry on working remotely. I would like to understand: if I stay on the emplyment contract: 1. Shall my emplyer be paying taxes & NI in UK even though I will be non resident after fully moving out 2. I can inform HMRC about moving out via P85 and I will get No tax tax code so then I can be paying my own tax and social security in Poland? If I start Self emplyement in UK prior to moving to Poland 1 . After move to Poland or income shall be taxed in Poland and there is no need to file self assessment in UK ( no tax due in UK), or 2. I still be carrying to do self assessment in UK and taxes are due to be paid in UK even though I won't be resident in UK. Thank you in advance for your response
Posted Wed, 27 Mar 2024 17:01:39 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi 2d2marcin,
As you will no longer be resident in the UK, you should complete the online form P85:
Get your Income Tax right if you're leaving the UK (P85)
To report that you are leaving the UK and when and that you will continue to be employed by a UK employer.
From this, HMRC can advise your employer to operate a 'NT' tax code, so that they do  not deduct tax, as you will be liable to pay tax in Poland on this (as they would see it) overseas income.
If you commence self employment in the UK, prior to moving to Poland, you would need to declare that part which was earned while resident in the UK in a Self Assessment tax return.
The remainder would be taxable in Poland.
Thank you. 
Posted Fri, 12 Apr 2024 09:43:09 GMT by Craig Young
I am struggling to get support. I am a non-UK resident, not living in UK, and work on a UK board. I have been advised that, on the basis a non-residence director and have no other UK sourced income (and all fees are processed via the UK payroll), under Section 7 of the Taxes Management Act 1970, there is no requirement for the NRD to file a UK self-assessment tax return for the 2023/24 tax year. If this statement is true, how do I remove the fine I am expected to pay along with eliminating the need for filing?
Posted Fri, 19 Apr 2024 16:04:05 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

You can see guidance here:

Self Assessment tax returns

Thank you.
Posted Sun, 05 May 2024 05:35:48 GMT by Soo
Hi HMRC, I am self-employed/ freelancing in my home country and doing some work for a UK client and some payments may go into a UK bank account. I have never travelled to the UK while doing work for this UK client. A contract may exists which agrees on the rate if they were to engage me but this is not a contract of employment at all but just agreement regarding rate of engagement only if they want to engage my service. They may or may not engage me. Kindly advise my UK tax status. Thanks. Regards, SS
Posted Mon, 13 May 2024 13:55:19 GMT by HMRC Admin 5

Please refer to Tax on your UK income if you live abroad

Thank you
Posted Mon, 13 May 2024 19:17:29 GMT by Saeedt
I am not resident in UK and I have UK ltd that is managed and controled from outside, the company doesn’t have employees in the UK and no trade or activities there, do i need to file taxes?
Posted Thu, 16 May 2024 12:23:50 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

As an individual, no. As a company, please refer to:

Corporation Tax: detailed information

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.